Twenty - Six

Song: River by Eminem featuring Ed Sheeran

As soon as Hannah finishes her sentence, the lights flick off. I try to look at Hannah but all I see is darkness. My body acts on its own when a hand grabs my wrist. I grab the wrist and pull it off of me before shoving the assailant into the wall.

"Calm down Kaelin!" Hannah hisses. "It's just me!" I sigh in relief. "What the hell is going on with the lights?"

"I don't know." I reply. "Let's try and make our way back to Annika and Axel."

I hold onto her wrist to make sure we don't lose each other in the darkness. I don't know why the power is out, but I hope we can use it to our advantage. Our feet move silently through the quiet house as we try to find the way back to the Andrew siblings.

"Where did everyone go?" Hannah whispers.

I shrug. "I'm not sure."

A loud bang resonates through the mansion. I half scream and drop to the floor; pulling Hannah with me in the process. More bangs follow the first causing me to plug my ears. I feel Hannah pulling on my arm trying to get me stand up. The bangs have been continuing in irregular patterns.

I stand up and uncover my ears when the bangs finally die down. Despite me covering my ears they are still ringing. Hannah grabs my hand and leads me forwards.

"Help me!" I hear a feminine voice scream. I can tell it's Annika. She sounds distraught and her voice is weak. We must be close.

"Annika!" Yells Hannah. "Annika!?"

We stumble through the mansion, half tripping and half stumbling into each other. My brain is running in over drive as anxiety starts to spread through my body like a cancer. I continue running as fast as possible through the dark hallways. My footsteps are louder than I want them to be, but that's not my priority.

Wait. Where did Hannah go?

"Hannah!" I blurt before slapping my hands over my mouth. I repeat her name again in a whisper, but I'm met with silence. I hear a yell from somewhere, but I can't pinpoint its exact location, especially in the dark. A light comes on at the end of the hallway I'm in. I quickly press myself up against the wall and peak over.

Cole and Mason are leading a fighting Hannah through the hallway. I put my hands over my mouth and try to stop the tears from escaping. I have to save my best friend, but I have absolutely no chance against Cole and Mason.

"Stop fighting Hannah!" Mason growls. Hannah glares at him and spits on his face. That puts him over the edge. He grabs her shoulders and slams her against the wall. I see her grimace in pain, but her face still looks rebellious.

I observe Mason raising his hand to hit Hannah like it's in slow motion. I can't standby and watch my best friend get hurt, but I also know that if I give myself up, our chances of saving the Andrew siblings go to zero. The slap sound resonates in my ears making me cringe.

Hannah's cheek turns firetruck red, yet I see no tears in her eyes. She scowls at Mason.

"Have you really stopped that low," She laughs. "that you would hurt a defenseless girl?"

Mason raises his hand to hit her again. I prepare myself to stop him-

"Mason! Dude she's just trying to get you pissed. Let me handle her and you go find Kaelin." Cole says with an almost bored expression. I wouldn't have caught it if he hadn't looked directly at me when he said it; he cares about Hannah.

He knows I'm here. The thought startles me but if Cole was going to give me away, he would have done it already. Mason stares at Hannah for about five seconds before speaking.

"If you even try to fucking escape bitch, I will make sure you never see the sun again." He looks her up and down before continuing. "Or I'll make it so you can't play sports anymore."

The first flash of fear I have seen so far flashes through her eyes. Mason would never do that... Would he? I feel like I don't know him at all anymore. It's terrifying.

Mason shoves Hannah into Cole's arms. "Make sure you turn this light out when you're done. I don't want them finding their way out. If they do, then you are responsible and I'll make sure you pay for it."

Who's they? He must mean me, but who else? I guess he could mean Axel and Annika, but fifteen minutes ago Axel was unconscious and beaten while Annika was an emotional wreck.

"Calm down Mason." Cole says while still firmly hugging Hannah to his chest. Part of me is wondering if she can breathe with how tight he is holding her. "They've already agreed to hand you over the gang and Nolan said he would give you Kaelin. Everything is fine."

I stumble backwards as pain fills my chest and clutches my heart. What? How could Nolan do that? He knows how I feel about Mason. I just...

I try to get back into my hiding place as quickly as I can. In my hurry, I didn't see the potted plant. I trip over it and fall with a loud bang while the plant smashes beside me. My head smacks the floor causing immediate pain to begin.

I groan and attempt to stand up. I see three of Mason walking towards me. I have to get away from him. I have to.

Mason crouches down beside me but I keep crawling away.

"Are you-" He begins but a loud smash stops him. I see his eyes roll back into his head before he collapses down beside me. I look up to see who my savior is. Cole stares down at me with Hannah at his side.

"C'mon," Says Hannah. "We have to get Annika. Cole you're going to have to carry her."

He reaches down to me but I cringe away. I don't trust him. Apparently my list of people who I can't trust is shrinking by the second.

"Everything I sad earlier was a lie," he says. I find myself staring into his dark brown eyes. They remind me of the rich chocolate that everyone craves. "Nolan didn't give you up and he hasn't given up the gang."

"Why are you helping me?" I whisper.

"Hannah and I have known each other for a long time and I want to help her." He replies with a tinge of pink in his cheeks. It's totally an awe moment, but we don't really have the time to appreciate it. I look at Hannah, who is nodding her head.

"Fine." I sigh. Cole allows me to hop on his back and wrap my arms around his neck before he grabs my thighs and starts sprinting. Hannah is right beside him. He knows where he's going which is comforting.

At least, if he's on my side it's comforting. Usually it's whoever Hannah trusts I trust, but I can't allow myself to trust the mysterious guy holding me.

A/N

Hey guys so I'm back in school and my sports are going full time now so my updates might slow down again but not as bad as it was :) I'm not super happy with this chapter, but the next one will get us back to some hockey :D

Thanks for reading and please vote ;)

-Court <3