Thirty - Nine (Nolan)

Maybe it was wrong of me, but I watched Kaelin from my bedroom as she got ready for her date with Tristan. I watched the way she layered makeup over her tired and swollen eyes and how she kept fluffing her hair nervously.

Where she is going tonight that she has to look that beautiful?

I pull out my phone and dial Axel's number. It rings once before he answers.

"Hello?"

"Axel. It's me." I reply, grabbing the stupid fidget spinner my mom got me for Christmas. "Have you heard about a party tonight or anything similar?"

"I haven't no, why do you ask?" Axel sounds confused, probably because he knows that I would have been invited to any parties tonight.

"I... Kaelin is going somewhere..." I murmur because I am starting to feel a little embarrassed.

Axel sighs on the other end. "I'll ask Ayden."

"Don't let her know-"

"That it's you asking yes, I know." Axel says. "I know the drill."

"Thanks." I say.

"No problem." He ends the call.

I stare at Kaelin as she talks with Hannah in her room. I can't stand the thought of her going out looking like that without me. That skirt perfectly displays her legs and the idea that other men will be looking at her sends a ripple of jealousy through me.

My phone dings with a text from Axel.

'She's going on a date with Tristan Waters' Axel's text read.

The fidget spinner snaps in my hand. That bastard. Moving in on my girl the second I'm not with her anymore.

'Where?' I reply.

Axel texts back immediately. 'On my way. Drive-in.'

I don't respond, I just look back up at Kaelin. Hannah has left which means Tristan is going to be arriving any second now. If Axel hurries we can follow them and I can stop this date from happening.

I see Tristan's car pull up in front of her house. He sits in it for a while and occupies himself by running his hands through his hair and straightening his attire.

Dick.

He finally gets out of his car and walks up to Kaelin's door. I see her smile slightly, but then she frowns. Her face crinkles and she looks like she wants to cry and I have a gut feeling it's because she misses her mom.

Shaylee Summers disappeared the moment Wayne Summers returned. No one knows where she went or why she would abandon Kaelin, but she did. I believe she has a secret she's trying to hide from Wayne, but I don't really care. All that matters to me right now is getting my kitten back.

When I focus back in on Kaelin's house, Tristan's car is gone. Axel better be here soon.

//

Axel arrived a solid fifteen minutes later.

"What took you so long?" I practically growl.

Axel glares at me and starts the car up. "I'll have you know I was on a lovely date with my girlfriend when you interrupted." He gives me a pointed look. "Dude, I know you want Kaelin back, but stalking her date isn't going to help."

I glare at the buildings as they pass by us. "You don't understand. I love her."

"I love Ayden. Believe me Nolan, I get that you're in pain, but showing up to her date isn't going to erase that pain nor is it going to win her back." Axel says.