No More Training: Amara

There was no more training. It was time for the real thing, no more waiting.

I placed my body Armour on me, thin, yet strong sheets of metal to protect me from bites on my arms and legs, and Kevlar, what the military uses in their bullet proof vests, to protect me from bullets in the midsection.

You never know who you'll encounter.

Sure it was a bit heavy but I can handle it.

I left my room in search of Adam, I found him in his armour matching mine, in front of the radio.

"1 minute and 37 seconds, not bad but you could do better." He said, not looking up at me.

"I'll be faster next time. Anything new?" I asked him gesturing to the radio.

"Yea, actually. Listen." He said to me then he turned up the radio.

"Umm excuse me. Adam? Amara? Are either of you there? There's been a, umm, dilemma. The infected got out, they've attacked a few people. Not many but about 6 I think. I assume you have a radio, I hope you have one. The town would greatly appreciate your help. Okay now umm, I repeat. Adam? Am-" He cut it off.

We sat in a solemn silence for a couple minutes until I spoke.

"We have to help them dad." I turned to face him.

"No we don't." He said back.

"Yes we do. It's the right thing to do." I shot back at him.

"The right things don't matter anymore! It wasn't right to call us crazy. Amara we are not helping them." He fired at me.

I let out a small huff, so that's what this is about.

"I guess you want all of them to turn and die, then have a potential 200 dead in front of our gates, all because you're bitter that they called us crazy." I said sharply. He should let petty words go and be the bigger person.

He let out a large sigh.

"Fine." He said begrudgingly.

I let out a small squeal and gave him a quick hug, then we set out to prepare.

We grabbed our usual weapons, 2 handguns, the axe, and the machete. We added one MR-15 for the trip as a just in case.

We went into our garage and decided not to take the truck or van as they are both too loud. We chose a matte black golf cart we remodeled.

We added doors and plexiglass windows that had sliders in the so you could shoot through them. The wheels were changed to off road tires in case we had to go through he woods. A diesel fit guard grill sat at the front on the car. There were spikes on the back bumper we replace with a steel piece. The engine was also replaced, instead of running on gas, it's solar powered and instead of the weak 30mph it used to hit, with a full charge it can go up to 100mph and still be deathly silent.

We loaded into our small vehicle after I placed the MR-15 in the backseat. Dad took off toward the tiny town of Pellar after unlocking then re-locking our gate.

When we approached the town, it was quiet. There were no people wandering around like usual, it was desolate. We drove around until we saw a large group of dead trying to get into the tiny community center.

"Those dumbasses. They're all in one place. They're sitting geese for the dead" Dad cursed the townspeople quietly.

"How are we gonna' do this?" I asked as he gripped the steering wheel so tightly, his knuckles turned a ghostly white.

We both studied the group of about 30 infected. Mayor Opal lied, 6 people my ass.

"How fast are they?" I asked suddenly, an idea popping into my mind.

"If all their legs are attached they can do a quick shuffle, a bit of a jog but not a full out sprint." He said.

I nodded then checked my magazine clip.

"So what you're saying is: they're not faster than me. I'm gonna' run by them, you're a sharp shooter so get the ones in the back from here, I'll get the ones closest to me. Okay? Okay." I explained quickly, leaving no time for arguing.

"Ama-" Before he could even get my name out of his mouth I was gone. I shot off running toward the group of dead with my axe in one hand and gun in the other.

"THE COWBOYS SUCK! COME AND GET ME BASTARDS!" I screamed as I reached the group.

They turned to me and let out a chorus of moans. They started moving toward me. I brought my axe down hard on the head of the first infected to reach me, then yanked it back out. I stared doing a small trot backwards and more reached me, I swung my axe at another's head as one more reached me, I lifted my gun and shot it in the forehead. I yanked my axe back out.

Larger clusters were reaching me, when I finally heard my dad start shooting from the golf cart. I put my axe in my belt loop because it was too slow and took too much effort to use against this many undead. I put both hands on my gun, and put it eye level.

Each of the undead that reached me caught a bullet to the face.

When a group of about 7 get to me, I trot away a bit more before turning back around and shooting once again.

There were 2 left when my dad started yelling, "I have to reload, I have to reload! Shit, Mar! Left alley! Left alley!"

I turned in time to be tackled by a fast dead, he said they were slow. I lost my balance at the impact and fell, my gun clattered a few feet away.

As the infected was trying to bite my face off, I shoved an armour clad arm in its mouth, as I was reaching down into my boot for one of my knives, I looked up to see the remaining 2 being shot down by my dad.

I knew he wouldn't shoot the one on top of me, he's a good shot he could hit my arm and he would never take the chance of hurting me.

As the infected tried chewing on my arm, I reached one of the many knives in my boots, then jammed it into the side of its head. It went slack, and I quickly pushed it off of me.

As my Dad ran toward me from the car, I inspected the dead, I'm guessing it was new. It's skin wasn't badly decayed and it had no blood in its teeth, the only indicator of it being an infected was the small teeth marks on her wrist, a child's teeth marks.

"Don't you EVER do anything like that ever again in your life or I'll kill you! Goddamn it Amara! You almost gave me a heart attack!" He fussed while helping me off the ground and inspecting my bitten armour, barely even a scratch.

I retrieved my gun and knife out of the dead's head then wee quickly walked to the community center and knocked on the double doors, announcing ourselves. The doors slowly came open revealing a pale Mayor.

Before my dad could do it, because I know he was going to, I punched the mayor in the nose.

"You son-of-a-bitch! That was not 6 infected! And why would all of you dumbasses congregate to one place? Are you trying to make your death quick? Jesus you're all gonna' die if you don't stop being so stupid." I fumed while a few people helped the bleeding Mayor off the floor.