Chapter One

Welcome to The Human Experiment 2! I can't believe that I've begun writing this and that I'm about to publish the first chapter. It feels kind of nerve-wrecking actually because the first book got such great response and I'm almost afraid that the second book won't be as good as the first one - but that doesn't mean I won't try to do it just as good or even better.

Anyhow, I hope you will enjoy it nonetheless and leave wonderful comments as you did with the first book. Now, I want to you to lean back, grab your tissues (just kidding) and enjoy The Human Experiment 2 - chapter one!

Enjoy!

<><><><><><><><><><>

October 23rd, 1997

Sankt Petersburg, Russia.

It was a dark and cold night. The wind was howling across the empty streets, showing just how abandoned the city was these times of the year. It wasn't going to take long before the first snow fell and the whole city would be covered in a pristine, white blanket.

But it wasn't all charming and cozy when the snow fell. That's when the homeless truly feared for their lives and having nowhere to go – many of them did die from the blistering cold that Russia had to offer.

"I-I can't feel my fingers," I hear her mutter behind me. I turn around and meet her blue eyes that seem even more icy out here – away from the fluorescent lights and the dark rooms we're so used to.

"It's almost like the cold is seeping inside my bones," I tell her, my teeth chattering. I try to clench my teeth shut to stop them from chattering but it's useless. It's freezing! We have no clothes on – except for the thin shirt and pants – that was the only thing we took with us from that horrid place - and the horrifying memories.

"Where is he?! He said he would be back soon but look how much time have passed and he's still not here. What if he left us? I wouldn't be surprised..." says Natalia, crouching next to me, her whole body shivering. I wrap my arm around her and pull her body close to mine, but two cold bodies doesn't make a warm one – instead we sit there, shivering together like two scared animals.

"He wouldn't," I say, my confidence low in what I'm saying. After all, he could! Who's stopping him? He's free. He has the curse to keep him warm. Why would he spend time with us, the people slowing him down by always freezing and can barely walk a few steps without feeling like they're going to die from the cold.

"H-how do you know?" Natalia mumbles, curling in on herself, her shivering increasing by the minute. I'm starting to fear that she will get sick or, even worse, die from the cold.

"I don't," I say, shaking my head at my stupid answer.

Some time passes when we finally hear running footsteps coming toward us. I look up and sigh in relief when I see Yuri running at us, holding several items in his arms. I nudge Natalia who must have fallen asleep. She jerks awake and looks around before remembering where she is, breathing out deeply.

"Are you cold?" Yuri asks us with a grin. I roll my eyes at his lame joke and stand up shakily, my legs barely having any strength in them.

"Did you-" before I even have the time to ask him, something is thrown my way and I barely catch it – what with my fingers being frozen and all. I look closely and it seems to be some kind of fluffy bread with something inside it. Yuri throws another one at Natalia who catches it swiftly and tears open the plastic cover before shoving a large piece inside her mouth.