Chapter 8.

Riza's POV:

This can't be happening. I can't be...

What am I going to tell him? Am I going to tell him? What if he doesn't want the baby? Do I get it aborted?

I'm not aborting this baby. No matter how much Roy hates me, this is my child, and I will go to the ends of the earth to protect it.

Do I tell Roy?

No. He isn't great with kids. He always yells at the Elrics when they come to town.

And they're already teenagers. What will happen with a newborn baby?

I've made my decision; I have to move, as far away from here as possible.

How about South? They have nice weather, nice people, and maybe I can visit Winry and Pinako from time to time. I can get the Elrics to fill me in on the military and Roy.

I pack my bags, pack Hayate's bags, and head to the military office.

I leave them in the car and head to the receptionist.

"Lieutenant Hawkeye! How can I help you?" The smiling girl asks.

"I'd like to resign my station."

She looks shocked.

"Is there any particular reason?" She asks.

"I'm moving South."

"Would you like us to transfer you?" She asks, still smiling.

"No, I'm leaving the military for good."

"What?!" I hear a familiar voice cry.

I turn around. It's Ed.

"Oh, Ed, you're in Central?" I ask.

"Well, obviously, but you're retiring? Who's gonna keep Colonel Mustang in line?"

"I have to, Ed, I'm sorry. But I'm moving South, so if you're ever in Resembool, give me a call, ok?"

"Ok. Have you told the Colonel?"

"No. Please don't tell him. If he knew the reason he'd never forgive me. Please, Ed, don't tell him."

"I won't. I promise."

"Thank you. Now, I best be off if I'm gonna catch the 9am train. Goodbye, Ed. Tell Alphonse I said hello."

"Will do. Goodbye, Riza."

I head for the station. As I board the train, I can feel my new life starting.

Roy's POV:

Where is she? She should've been in at 6am! It's 8am!

Is she abusing the privileges. I've given her?

I can't think of that now, I have a meeting with Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist.

"Hello, Fullmetal." I say in a cold voice.

"Jeez, what's gotten into you this morning?"

"Oh, nothing, it's just Riza. She's late. She's never late. It's been going on for the last week or so, but she has never been this late."

"Oh, ok, but shouldn't we discuss the rogue alchemist in the South?"

"Yes, I was getting to that. He seems to be targeting random officers? What's the connection?"

"Do you recognize any of them?" He asks, pulling out the case file, along with the victims pictures.

"That's second Lieutenant Skread, and Major Hibble. They worked with me a few years ago. And that ones Sergeant Malcolm, he was a good friend of mine when I was in East. And I recognize them too."

"So, all of the victims have worked for you or with you?" Ed asks.

"I guess so. I don't remember a fews' names, but Lieutenant Hawkeye would probably remember them." I sigh.

"Someone is targeting your past subordinates, maybe trying to get to you."

"Has someone figured out my plan to become Fuhrer?"

"I'm not sure, but me and Al will check it out. See you in a few weeks."

"Goodbye Fullmetal."

He stops at the door.

"You do realize that everyone in Central ships you and Riza, right?"

"What?!" I almost yell, "there is nothing going on between us, and that's final!"

"That's too bad, cause you'd make a lovely couple." He said.

"You really think so?"

"Ha! Caught ya red handed! You love her, you love her!" He says as he dances around the room.

"It's not like that. She's been a friend since childhood, it'd be like shipping you and Winry!"

This time, he freaks out.

"It'snotlikethatshesmyautomailmechanicandfriendandsheislikeasistertome!" He says at lightning speed.

"So you get my point?"

"I guess. Anyways, gotta run!"

"To see Winry?" I yell after him.

"Shut up!" He screams as he runs down the hall.

A few hours later, I see the receptionist walking down the hall. Maybe she knows where Riza is.

"Excuse me, miss, but have you seen Lieutenant Hawkeye this morning?"

"Why, yes I have! She came in at 8ish and resigned."

"Resigned? She quit?"

"Yes, Sir, she was out of uniform and her hair was down."

"She's gone?!"

"I'm afraid so, Sir. It's too bad; half of the station bet that you guys would get together."

"That's impossible, soldiers are not allowed to date each other."

"It didn't matter; we want you two to be together. The kind of connection you shared, it was uncanny. I could only attempt to describe it. If I had to, I'd call it true love."

I look down, shocked. Did everyone think that we had a chance?

It didn't matter now; she's gone.

I'll never see her again.

I can feel my heart shatter, as my one true love has disappeared without a trace.