twenty-two

"And you promise you won't ever skip school again?"

I nod. I had almost convinced my mom to give me my phone back. 

She sighs and shakes her head. "I'm not strict enough on you."

My eyes widen, but I stay silent. I was not going to argue. 

"One second," she says and disappears into her room. She comes back carrying my phone. My mom hands it over to me.

"Thank you," I breathe. I turn it on and see multiple messages from Olivia. My heart swells. My eyes glimpse a text from Sarah, but I don't linger on it. I read all eleven of Olivia's messages.

4:15pm: Hey. I'm the girl from the diner... you gave me your number??

4:49pm: Yo. Just checking in. Do you go to East Rockville High? Cuz that's where I'm going...

5:30pm: Hey. You seemed cool. If I'm getting annoying, I'm sorry. Just let me know...

7:01pm: Hey... so is this the wrong number?? Haha. That would be my luck...

7:05pm: Mia... I really hope this is you... I miss you. Ur cooler than my other friends. 

8:02pm: So I guess I'm just talking to myself...? That's pretty depressing... i thought I made a good first impression...

9:26pm: Yo... I'm kind of having a rough night and need someone to talk to... 

9:47pm: Bro! I'm in pain! Why'd u even give me ur number??! u dont even have the decency to reply!

5:00am: Hey, sorry for last nights message. I hope ur not mad at me...

3:04pm: I'm sorry for getting Sarah mad at you. i didnt mean to.

4:03pm: ur really pretty.

I blush and my stomach flutters. What was up with me? I type back my reply.

7:42pm : so r u