Part Ten

A/N: sorry for bad spelling...😓🙃

She jerked awake, body covered in sweat and sheets sticking to her shaking legs.

Falling out of the bed, she stared in horror at the paint covering her walls, reliving the nightmare and all its hurt.

Shying away from the deathly murals, she gasped at the pain flaming through her forearm.

She stared, barely keeping the terrified shriek rising in her throat silent.

Blood covered her arms, the shade varying from deep red to bright crimson. She stared in horror at the resemblance between her arms and the paint on her walls.

She stood on shaky legs and watched, terror filling her body, as the not-quite-dry fluid morphed itself across the once pure grey walls.

The shriek escaped her throat, a shrill sound that shook her bones.

It was a single one-syllable word.

Death.

She was aware of the door flying open and a hand dragging her out of the room.

"There's a fire in the library," Luce explained in her ear. "Mrs Grace ordered full evacuation."

Mel stared. "Jess," she breathed.

"What?"

She placed her hands on his shoulders. "Jess is in the library. He will die if we don't go to save him."

Luce eyed her, then nodded and followed her down several staircases and through a few corridors until at last they found the smokefilled hallway to the library.

Shelves groaned and crumbled, but Mel managed to leap into the blazing inferno just before the doorframe collapsed.

"Luce!" she shouted. "Are you alright?"

"Keep yourself safe!" came the reply. "I don't want more blood on my hands."

Mel frowned. Probably shouldn't have heard that part.

She turned back to the fire and dived towards the centre, narrowly missing a few books dropping from high above her.

She collapsed near the spot Jess would be, body racking and lungs screaming in objection.

She crawled forewards on her stomach, reaching towards him only to find an empty space. "No!" she shouted. Then she grinned. "He's safe!"

She rolled onto her back, insides churning with smoke.

Coughs shook through her and she felt her eyes and skin burning. The air around her grew darker until she saw a small light above her.

"Jess?" She stared through the smoke as his glowing form dropped next to her. He radiated light and two brilliantly bright wings stretched above his head. "Wings?"

Mel felt the invisible puzzle pieces starting to fit together.

She gaped. "Angels and Demons," she whispered hoarsely. Then she blacked out.