Part Thirteen

Mel stepped into her room, inhaling a deep dusty breath.

"Home," she muttered.

She stepped through the ash, leaving pale footprints in the dark grey.

She sighed and slumped into what used to be her bed. The remaining wood groaned under her weight.

The fire had started in the library as well as her room, but why?

She bent down and gathered a hand of ash in her palm. It silvered through her fingers with a soft hish, the only sound in the room besides Mel's breathing.

She started when a soft knock sounded on the door.

Stepping outside, she found a note taped on the door above her head.

A smile spread across her face. Lake at dusk, it read in Luce's surprisingly elegant handwriting. Wear white.

She rolled her eyes.

Stepping back inside, she thought back to Luce's story. "Angels and Demons, huh?" she said to the room. "Maybe this is a place for crazies after all."

She scavenged her room for still usable items and managed to find a hand full of clothing, a dress among them.

Mel sighed and turned around. She jerked back at the sight of Jess.

"Hey..." she said.

He nodded around the room. "Hey."

They stood in silence until she spoke again. "So you're an Angel, huh?"

He nodded, uncertain. "Luce... didn't tell you everything... We agreed that I tell you the rest."

Mel frowned. "What more is there to know?"

He took a deep breath, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well... For starters he left out the fact that I'm your brother. And that there's a prophesy about you."

She nodded before sitting down in the dust. "Good to know."

Jess dropped down next to her.

"So, as you probably know, there are five Angels mentioned in the Bible. Abbadon, Beelzeubub, Gabriel, Michael and Satan.

"Abe and Beel are in the Underworld right now, taking care of Satan's buisness while he's up here. But Gabriel, Micheal and Satan are here." He paused for a moment. "Can you guess who they are?"

Mel droppes her gaze, frowning slightly. "Gabriel... Grace?" He nodded. "Satan... Lucifer... Luce?"

Mel met his gaze. "Michael?"

He didn't blink as he spoke. "Your name is Micheal Stewarts, but we call you Mel. You used to fight Lucifer and his angels until you fell. Luce caught you and you can probably figure out what happened. He basiaclly confessed his feelings earlier today."

Mel nodded. "So what am I?" she asked. "Angel or Demon?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "You see, that's where it gets complicated. When you fell in battle, the white started fading, but when Lucifer caught you so did the black."

"So I'm grey? Forever trapped between two worlds? Locked in the centre of an eternal battle between light and dark?"

"That's a bit dramatic. But, basically, yes."

Mel stood, moving to look out of her broken window. "You said we're siblings?"

He nodded. "Jesiah is not mentioned in the Bible, but you and I were born from the same light. That basically makes us family."

She nodded, gaze still trapped out the window.

"I belive you have an appointment," Jess said.

She turned to face him and nodded.