xii. secrets

chapter
twelve
moodboard
12 grimmauld place

-

Hogsmeade was beautiful around Christmastime. Especially when it snowed, because the snowflakes looked beautiful as they feel onto wreaths. The weekend before Christmas brought joy to all Hogwarts students, and even made some forget about the rumors.

Dark rumors of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named were surfacing, most from Slytherin students who had heard their parents speaking of the war at home. Technically, the war had already begun. Technically, times were getting harder. Technically, students should be afraid.

Millie wasn't sure what to feel. War felt so untouchable, so out of body, especially around Hogwarts where everyone was protected. She had herself, and Benji, and Demetria, and they would be going back to the Yoon's home for the holidays. That's what Millie was supposed to be thinking of. That's why she was here at Hogsmeade by herself: to get everyone presents.

The reason war was so prevalent in her mind was because Regulus had found her in Zonko's, and brought it up. "Maybe you could come to a meeting with me?"

Millie turned around and sighed quietly. Just the word "war" gave her anxiety. Now her ex-boyfriend was suggesting she join the evil side. "Regulus, I don't really want to talk about this. Besides, I thought you were mad at me."

"Well, I was," the younger admitted, "but most couples fight, don't they? And I thought about convincing you to join me, and now I'm hoping you'll say yes."

Millie picked up an acid pop and momentarily wondered if she should give it to Sirius for Christmas. Was she getting them anything for Christmas? Probably not, since they'll all be going off to their separate homes.

She put it in her basket anyways. "Regulus, we're over. You made that clear the last time we talked, and I'm not looking for heartbreak again, alright?"

Regulus frowned. "You could come over to my house for Christmas. Mother agreed, and she promised to send a formal invite to your house as soon as possible."

Something in Millie's heart suddenly stopped working, and her blood ran cold. "No, you didn't. Please say your lying."

"I'm not."

"Regulus, my parents hate Slytherins! Don't your parents know that?"

Regulus shrugged, "I may or may not have told them that you were on the Dark Lord's side in order to get you invited over. But that's okay, since you'll reconsider, right?"

"Reconsider what? Being a decent person?" Millie pinched the bridge of her nose, "and now my parents are going to be positively angry with me when they receive that letter, so thanks a lot."

"Grape? I thought you were more of a cherry type of girl," Sirius' voice picked up behind Millie. The latter turned around just as Sirius was taking a lollipop out of her basket. He tossed it back and shot Millie a lopsided side before turning to his brother. "Hello, Reg. A bit persistent aren't we?"

Regulus furrowed his eyebrows defensively. "It's in her best interest."

Millie saw something like anger flash in Sirius' eyes before it was quickly replaced with mirth. "Do you even know your girlfriend? Her best interest is probably the emerald makeup palette Lily found."

Interest peaked in Millie's heart, and she swiveled her head around Sirius' lean body to see if she could catch a glimpse of Lily's dark red hair, just as Regulus answered his brother. "Ex-girlfriend, actually."

"Oh?" Sirius looked at Millie strangely. "You never told me."

"Do you two talk?" Regulus asked, browns raised. "Is that why you won't come home with me?"

"Home?" Sirius barked out a sound that was almost laughter, save for the fact that it was too dry, too forced. "I wouldn't bring Millie there even if I still lived there. What if death eaters visit? What about the Lestrange's or the Goyle's? If they came over, could you protect Millie from them? Or would you go hiding with the house elf like you always did when it was me?"

Regulus seethed, "Kreacher's is the only good one in that house, don't you dare take it out on him."

"I'm not," Sirius snapped, "I'm taking it out on you and our stupid parents. If you really want to tap into Millie's best interest, leave her alone and tell your parents not to send that letter."

"Our parents," Regulus corrected.

Sirius let out somewhat of a choked sound before grabbing Millie's hand and pulling her out of the store. Thankfully the girl had enough sense to put her basket down before they left, in order not to be labeled as a shoplifter. "Sirius, where are we going? It's not like Regulus is chasing us!"

Sirius didn't answer. Instead he turned a corner around the Three Broomsticks, until they were trapped in a narrow alley just between the pub and another shop Millie couldn't quite remember the name of. Not now, when's she could see Sirius' face, and the way his obsidian eyes seemed to shimmer with guilt and... pain.
"Sirius—"

He let out another choked noise and suddenly buried his face into her hair, his arms wrapping around the expanse of her waist and pulling her in. He sniffled quietly, as if he didn't even want Millie to know that he was crying. Which, of course, was absurd when she could feel his hot breath against her neck. Hesitantly, Millie reached her hand up and ran it through his cold tresses, slightly damp with melted snow. This action just made Sirius break apart even more, as he pulled her tighter and let out what sounded like a strangled whimper. "You didn't tell me. You didn't tell me he wanted you over at the house."

His grainy voice prickled Millie's stomach with pity, "You can't go there. It's... it's hell and they might never let you come back and... I can't... please if you need a place to stay over the holidays you can come to the Potter's."

Millie pulled back and cupped Sirius' face, so that their eyes met. "Sirius, I was going to say no, okay? Regulus and I are not dating anymore specifically because I don't want to join You-Know-Who's army, alright?"

She stroked his cheek gently with her numb, wiping away any stray tears he had left. He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch, bring his own hand up to cover hers. It seemed only then that Millie realized just how close they were, and how all she had to do was move forward a few centimeters to kiss him. If she wanted to, that is. And the difficult part was that weeks ago she could've told anyone that she wanted nothing to do with the gryffindor, but now she wasn't too sure. "I, um, promised I'd meet Demetria after I bought my gifts. Speaking of, I need to go buy my gifts."

"Right," Sirius said, the spell suddenly breaking on his side as well, for he jumped back and wiped his face roughly. "Ah, I'm sorry. Please don't, uh, think I'm strange or anything."

"I already think you're strange." Millie left him with that, and for some reason it held more comfort than it should've.

-

a/n

extremely short chapter bc i've been busy writing other stuff

but i feel like sirius and millie might have reached a breakthrough? maybe

hopefully the next chapter will be longer

also, what are some things you guys want for christmas?