Chapter One - "What's With Your Hair?"

Air whirled around violently as the ship prepared itself to land on the cliff side. The patch of rock it was setting up to land on was smooth, unlike the rest of the cliff which was jagged and uneven. It was a surprise to see that the place had multiple ships perched on the small ledge, and it confused the young man as he looked through the window of the ship. Where was the base? Why had these people - soldiers - rescued them and brought them to a cliff ledge full of ships? What was the point - the reason?

His questioning seemed to cease when they ship bay doors opened to reveal soldiers lined up, shoulder to shoulder with cold expressions and guns on their backs.

"Hey, don't let them intimidate you, they really aren't as scary as they look," Doe comforted, her hand on his shoulder as he searched the armed officers just outside the ship.

Her hand slipped away as the crowd he was in began to move around, making way for the soldiers carrying the stretchers to get out first and then trampling out themselves. It was stuffy in the ship, so he understood why the rest were in such a rush to get out.

"Attention!" A broad shouldered man called from the line, he stepped forward and began to introduce the place the former prisoners were brought to, "This is the place you will be spending the rest of your time in, not as prisoners, but as soldiers. You will be training and working hard, but of course, first you must heal and adjust," His voice boomed in the dusty air, "I am General Henson, and you will listen to all and any orders I give you. This," He gestured to a brunette behind him, still in the line. The woman stepped forward at her que, "is my second in command, Tekin, I expect you to treat her with respect." His cold eyes gazed over the crowd of new recruits, he nodded his head and the soldiers who carried stretchers began to walk off, presumingly taking the wounded new recruits to the medical bay.

"Now, I will hand it over to my Lieutenant General, Calibre." General Henson walked off, Tekin following close behind.

"Alright, I am Lieutenant General Calibre and I will be assigning you codenames and bunk numbers with the help of the Major General, Kryoz." He held his hand out to his left to gesture to the platinum-haired soldier standing there, "Listen to everything we say and if we catch you disobeying any rules, that I will soon list, then you will be punished accordingly." Calibre then proceeded to list rules such as no killing, no leaving the base without permission, no entering restricted areas without permission, no stealing, no skipping training, no talking back, no breaking curfew, and no romantic or sexual relations with any other comrades.

"And before I forget, breakfast is at eight, lunch is at twelve, dinner is at five, and curfew is at ten." Calibre added, "moving on, come to me to get your bunk number and go to Kryoz to get your code name."

People started to go up to the two, receiving a small slip of paper from Calibre stating the bunk number, and getting marker on their skin from Kryoz writing their new name.

Smitty glanced at Doe who had been standing beside him the whole time, she gave him a small shove forwards as well as a reassuring smile. She was acting as though he was nervous; he wasn't. He was skeptical. These people were recruiting former prisoners that they didn't know if they could trust yet, not to mention their rules were very restricting - to Smitty at least. He was a free spirit and hated being tied down to rules, and he definitely didn't want to end up walking into another prison from just being freed from one.

The young man let out a sigh before trudging up and waiting in line to get his bunk number from Calibre. Most people had gotten their numbers and code names and had already set out to find their bunks, leaving only two people in front of Smitty and zero behind him. Instead of listening to the other conversations around him, he began to hum, and this instantly caught the attention of the tall man in front of him.

"So you're Hummer," The man spoke, his voice thick with an irish accent. This silenced Smitty's humming and he gave a wide smile at the man, confirming his accusation.

"That I am, and you are?" He quizzed, and the man was about to answer before he was cut off by Calibre.

"Tall guy, bunk 223 is your's." His voice held no emotion, and his face remained stoic, like everybody else's. The irishman took the slip of paper before proceeding to Kryoz. Now, it was Smitty's turn to get a paper, and he rubbed his cold hands together before taking the slip of paper from the surprisingly shorter man's grasp. He looked taller from farther away.

"Bunk 224." The young man nodded at the commanding officer before moving onto the next one.

His obscured eyes met with the brown ones of the platinum-haired man by the name of Kryoz. Up close Smitty could see all the beauty marks littering the man faces, he could also see the flecks of green surrounding the man's pupil and the hint of a smile on his lips.

"What's with you hair?" The major general chuckled, causing the younger man before him to raise his brow with a smirk.

"What's with yours?" Kryoz chuckled at this and it was like music to Smitty's ears. He has been dying to hear someone laugh, to see someone laugh. He spent years in that prison, and even before then no one dared to laugh, for there was nothing to laugh about. The Earth had been destroyed and people were dying left and right.

"Touche," Kryoz smiled widely, glancing at Smitty's hair before being to ask questions, "what's with the glasses?"

"They are tech glasses, only lord knows why the maniacs in that lab let me keep 'em. Other details are personal." He shrugged.

"What's your name? How old are you? Where are ya from? What's your hybrid? Any special skills?" The major general questioned, he was asking more questions than he did to the others - he was drawing a blank for this guys codename. That was the only reason. Definitely not because he liked the guy's voice. Nope.

"Uh, people call me Smitty, or Hummer, my real name is personal. I am twenty-two, Canadian, marble fox hybrid, and to put it simply - I'm a badass." Another shrug before he added, "oh, and that is Smitty spelt with two i's and a seven - no t's."

"Well, 'Smitty', you're new name is now Milk Bag. No complaints." Kryoz sent him a smile. He had called him 'Milk Bag' because his white hair, he is canadian and they have bagged milk, and he is a marble fox which the reminded Kryoz of marble cheese which is made with milk.

Although Kryoz wanted to speak to Smitty more, he sent him off to find his bunk. He could not get attached to anyone, part of the rules for him - no favorites for commanding officers (although that is complete bullshit considering Henson favorited Tekin), and it would probably end up being bullshit for him too, he definitely liked Smitty more than the other recruits that came in today. He seemed more relaxed and carefree, which was a lot like Kryoz himself.

He just hoped Smitty didn't die when it came to the hard training.

------------

Written by: Odd (Non-existent_Sanity)

------------
Anyways!

ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
------------

Sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

Have a good day! :)

~NES