Chapter 14

"Um, sir? We are detecting trace slipspace ruptures on the far side New Cilveracii. Should we send a shuttle around for visual confirmation?"

"That won't be necessary. I know who it is. Raise the shields, put the fleet on alert status," Colmor ordered calmly. He glanced down from his unwavering gaze into space. He knew the Commune, or whatever the coagulation of the other factions was called, would come for them eventually, he just didn't expect it so soon. "Tell all non essential personnel to abandon ship. I want the bare bones on all ships. If we somehow go down after all of this I want there to still be some people to carry on our name, even if it takes a while to rebuild."

"And what of Arres' ship, sir? They have a crew but the need a captain. I did put him out of commision after all," Dufresne remarked lightly.

"I'll take over for it," a feminine voice came from behind him. The bridge doors had not made their usual hiss that notified Colmor of someone's arrival. Colmor turned to look this brave soul in the eye. Before him stood Sefass Loval, his best deck officer and his lover. She stared across the bridge into his eyes with a silent plead.

"And what makes you think that I'll allow that?" Colmor asked pensively.

She opened her mouth to reply, and then shut it immediately. Her expression molded into one of complete thought. She then looked up and replied, "I am the best choice, sir. I'm a good tactical commander and I'm quick on making decisions."

"That's why I need you here. None of this could happen without you," Colmor replied persuasively.

"I take great offense to that, sir," Dufresne mumbled in disagreement.

Sefass noted Dufresne's discontempt with Colmor's conjecture and reflected it back on him. "You have Dufresne for that. He's perfectly capable of making tactical decisions like me."

Dufresne pointed his thumb over his shoulder at her as if to say she knows what's up. Colmor shook his head. "I need you because you have guts. You go with orders no matter what."

Dufresne snorted derisively, "Are we just going to ignore the fact that I shot Arres as soon as you told me to? Sir, I'm beginning to think you're not appreciating what I'm doing around here. I'm just as capable as Sefass. Let her take over the Torrent. I'll be your tactician if you just let me."

Colmor turned to Dufresne with a cold scowl. "So you get to make the decisions around here now? Why don't you just take over the Tempest then, if you're so inclined as to tell me what to do?"

"Sir, I just meant that as a suggestion. Trust me I don't want to be on your bad side," Dufresne submitted defensively.

"Colmor. Let me take over the Torrent. It's what they need, and it'll be good for me."

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that," Colmor countered sharply.

"Fine. You can't stop me," she retorted. "Or should I say, you won't stop me."

Colmor opened his mouth to protest, but knew Sefass was right. He loved her to much to not let her go. "Fine," he said with a hint of bitterness. "You may assume command of the Torrent. I'll let them know you're coming."

"You mean I'll let them know she's coming," Dufresne gestured to himself.

"Right," Colmor replied hesitantly. "Now, get down there quick. We have a battle on the horizon."

Sefass rendered a triumphant salute and pivoted to leave the bridge. She jogged off, the bridge doors parting to allow her through. Colmor returned to the window, formulating all the ways the battle could go.