Chapter 16

The tension was broken by the firing of Nova's pistol. Sigma's head slumped backwards, now lying lifeless on the ground.

"Nova what the hell!" Khrelan cried. "Vartelm was right, we could've reasoned with him."

"Dragging him around would only slow us down. He means nothing to us, and most importantly he means nothing to me anymore. I tried reasoning with him before, but I knew from the instant he first shoved me down that there was no reasoning with him. He wanted one thing and that was to be better than me, and he never was. He may have been with shiny little insignia giving him control over me, but I'm the better person. I always have been. He knew that by killing him I was releasing him from his hate," Nova paused. "So I guess you could say I did reason with him. He wanted me to kill him, and I found that to be a fair end. Say what you will about it, but it's over now. The deed has been done and there's no turning back. Now let's get to Colmor before this ship becomes a fiery ball of death."

He holstered his pistol and strode down the hall, leaving his brother and his teammates in his wake.

"What do we do with that?" Khrelan asked quizzically.

"I don't know to be honest, that's the most heartless I've seen Nova in... well ever. I guess we came here to get Colmor so we should follow through on that. This ship is pretty much a time bomb now," Vartelm shrugged. He stood and walked through the door, glancing down at Sigma as he passed. Khrelan pointed to the two soldiers and gestured for them to follow. He then fell in behind them as they made their way to the bridge.

No complications arose until they arrived on the deck that the bridge resided on. Two officers were posted outside the door. They didn't look as if they volunteered to guard the bridge, but nonetheless they bolstered rifles and were prepared for Vartelm and Khrelan to arrive. Nova had taken yet another detour, and he made it clear that he wouldn't be facing Colmor. Khrelan rolled out of the elevator in a very combative style, and unleashed a pair of bullets. Each hit one of the officers in the chest. They fell backwards stunned, but not killed. Vartelm exited the elevator cautiously despite Khrelan's dispatching of the guards.

"Do you think the door is locked?" Vartelm inquired. Khrelan figured it would. The locksmith stepped up to the plate once again. After a couple of seconds the door slid open to the surprise of the soldier.

"Why does everyone have to keep opening the doors?" he cried in frustration.

Khrelan made the signal to stay put and tilted his head towards the bridge. Vartelm shifted his rifle and turned, "Here goes nothing."

They strode onto the bridge, nervous but collected. They were seconds away from being face to face with their adversary. They finally saw the man, standing with his back turned, facing the viewport.

"What is it this time Yorke?" the man called from over his shoulder. "I already told you their coming and it's only a matter of time before they do. Now return to post or I'll make sure you stay on this ship when it blows to hell."

They were now steps from him. They stopped as he finished talking. Khrelan raised his rifle, pointed right at the back of Colmor's skull, "Permission to join the bridge?"

Colmor jolted slightly at the question. He turned around slowly, containing his fear. "How the hell did you get on my bridge?"

"We had a little help from one of your former henchmen," Vartelm explained cockily.

Colmor pondered for a moment, "That's acceptable. Sigma will take care of him soon enough."

"Oh, that's right. About that... he's dead."

Colmor's rage swelled like a balloon, "WHAT?!"

Khrelan nodded, "Nova took him out with little effort. He was just a nuisance."