Knee Socks

I cried a lot in that week. The one person who loved me on this planet died.
~back to the night of the crash~
"Hey, want be to drive you back to your flat?" Alex asked.
"Um, well, it's James's, was James's, so, uh, I don't know..."
"Oh, well then you can stay at my place for a while until you get back on your feet! I'm sure Arielle won't mind."
Arielle. I know I should be over Alex by now, but it just seems as soon as I feel like I have, I see a picture of him on the internet, or hear an Arctic Monkeys song, and then I remember how happy we were. Before he was famous.
"It's okay. I don't want to ask to much.. you just saved my life after all!"
"No, darling, it's not. We have know each other since we were kids."
"Thank you so much Al."
"Not a problem, love."
He gave me his helmet and we got on the motorcycle.
"Harley Davidson. Nice."
"Yeah, a lot nicer than what I drove before the Arctics got together." he said with a smile.
I could to help but to smile as well.
Not too long after, we arrived at Alex's flat, and I had a cough.
"Hey, Arielle?"
"Alex! Where have you been? I've been worried-"
She walked in and saw me. I couldn't quite read her expression.
"Who's this?"
I opened my mouth to speak, but Al cut me off.
"This is my friend Gwen. She was just in an accident, her boyfriend died, and she needs somewhere to stay until she gets back on her feet. Is that alright?" 'Well you didn't have to tell her the whole thing' I thought. Arielle's expression turned into a sympathetic one. For some reason, I hated it.
"Of course! I'm so sorry hun!"
She drew me into a big hug. I could see Alex smiling at her response. I started coughing, so Arielle brought me some cough drops. The unfortunate thing about her kindness, though, is that I had nothing against her. She was just too nice.
"Thanks so much, Arielle, for everything. I'm sorry to intrude or anything.."
"Of course your not! Considering what just happened, bug me as much as you want." She said with a laugh. I smiled.
"Well thanks, Ari. Do you have anything I can wear as pajamas? I didn't get a chance to grab my clothes from James's."
"Yeah. Let me get something."
A moment later, she came out of her bedroom with a sky blue Lacoste.
"Sorry, it was the first thing I found. It's kinda hot out, this should be good. It's Al's."
"It's perfect. Thanks!"
I had some knee socks on that I didn't feel like taking off, and I slipped on the Lacoste. I sucked on a cough drop. I sat on the end of the guest room bed, staring of into space, thinking. Alex walked into the room and sat down next to me.
"What's up, darlin?"
"Just thinking."
"What about?"
"I dunno. What just happened, I guess."
He looked me up and down.
"I haven't seen this in a while." He said, smiling and playing with the sleeve of the Lacoste.
"Yeah. Ari gave it to me to sleep in for tonight."
"Nice."
We sat in silence for a few moments, but it wasn't awkward.
"Well, goodnight, love."
And then he kissed me. Not long, but enough to leave me wide eyed.
"You taste like cough drops."
He got up with his stupid smirk on his face, shook his head a bit, and closed the door behind him as he walked out of the room.