Chapter 1

At one moment, it could be nice, calm, and peaceful.

I was just lounging around my apartment, looking out the windows occasionally as the sun disappeared over the horizon and the sky gradually got darker and darker. My attention flickered from that, to the TV, to thoughts of Marina. I regretted the decision to stay at our apartment while she went to the studio and recorded songs for her new album. I miss Marina a lot sometimes when she’s working on her music. But don’t get me wrong, here. She spends time with me, we go out and have fun all the time. Sometimes, I really have got no down time just like she does, but for now, I’m completely free and extremely bored.

My thoughts drift back to her, wondering when she’ll come home tonight and how she was doing with her new album. I worry about her sometimes, she’s always wanted to be popular. After her first album came out, she became better known, but she never really took off. She became really depressed and I helped her through all of the nights she spent wondering why. She always thought she had a terrible voice. I always told her that she had the voice of angel, or a goddess. It’s true, too. Her voice is far better than mine. I try and tell her this all of the time, but she always denies it, saying that there’s no way in hell that’s true.

I sigh, shaking my head at the thought. I try to turn my head by and pay attention to the TV, but something is bothering me and I don’t really know what it is, or why. Groaning, I get up off of the couch and saunter over to the front door, cracking it open slightly. I can feel the cooler night air on my skin, so I decide to step outside and light a cigarette.

Outside, the last of the light blues in the sky were starting to fade, streetlights flickering on, every couple of minutes before they all come on for the night. I just observe the area around me, the trees getting rustled by the wind every so often, the occasional car driving by, a cat scampering through the street and darting into the bushes on the other side. I take slow drags of my cigarette, inhaling the thick smoke steadily before exhaling it with a sigh. I find myself humming one of Marina’s songs, “Obsessions”. It’s melody and her voice ring through my head, and I softly sing along. I wish she was here to sing it to me, I absolutely adore her voice.

I pull out my iPhone, sliding my fingers over the password to unlock it. I pull up my text messages and shoot a text towards Marina.

Hey, how’s the studio going? xoxo

I set my phone against the concrete pavement carefully and lean forwards, resting my head in my hands. I look up, stars still appearing in the night sky. The trees are black against the sky, standing tall, rustling leaves in the breeze. Since it’s was early July, it was still warm in the night time, so Marina and I would usually sit here and have long conversations while drinking beers or we would go sit up on the roof of our building. It was almost..weird not having her here. I didn’t like it, but I could tolerate it.

My phone vibrated against the concrete, so I picked it up and swiped at the unlock screen. Marina had texted me back, saying that it was going great and that she would be home before nine.

I looked at the clock on my phone. It read 8:35 p.m.

Picking myself up off the ground where I was sitting, I practically skip inside, making my way to Marina and I’s bedroom. I stride over to the closet, pushing the sliding door open, revealing all sorts of shirts, dresses, belts, and general accessories. Jeans, yoga pants, and skirts were folded up along the shelves in the closet. I skimmed through the tee shirts until I find my black Guns n’ Roses shirt, taking off my white-lace top with a black jacket over it, I slip on the other shirt and change into a pair of yoga pants.

I went and laid back on the couch, paying attention to the crime show that was on. I started to feel a little bit drowsy, so I decided to close my eyes for a couple minutes before Marina got back home.

~

I sluggishly opened my eyes to reveal my white ceiling. Groaning, I sat up. I looked around me, noticing it was still dark out from the windows. I don’t think I was out for that long, but just to make sure, I grabbed my phone from off of the coffee table and checked the time. 9:10.

My eyes widened a bit as I read the notification: 4 missed calls from Marina.

I tapped on Marina’s name, and it started dialing her number. I held my phone up to my ear expecting to hear ringing, but I only heard her voicemail. A little bit worried now, I pulled my shoes on and grabbed my car keys, heading out the door.

I jogged to my car, unlocking it and slamming the door shut after me. I shoved the key in the ignition, starting the car. I hurriedly pulled out into the street and sped to the downtown area. I don’t know why, but something felt really wrong. I couldn’t quite put my finger on why though. I really just hope she got caught up in the studio, that’s all..

I turned onto a main road, immediately seeing red and blue flashing lights a couple of blocks up the road. Pure fear and horror tremors through me as I got closer and closer to them. As I approached, I slowed down my vehicle. There were two ambulances sitting there, lights flashing. I then saw a silver car with it’s front end completely smashed in. As I passed by , I realized that it was, in fact, Marina’s car.

And in the next moment, it could be chaotic, heart-wrenching, and terrible.