Chapter 5

Marina’s POV

“Marina, I definitely advise against that.” Calvin crossed his arms and pleaded with me, trying to hold up an authoritative stance.  I stomped my foot in defiance,  mirroring his pose. “I want to see Lana. I want to see if she’s okay.”

He shakes his head. “You’re so fucking stubborn. I’m telling you, it’s a bad idea!”

I look him right in the eyes, resisting the urge to get in his face. “Let me see her.” I hiss through my teeth.

His face falls as he throws his hands up. “You’re difficult. But, I’m warning you. You wanted this, okay? Don’t get mad at me when you come back.”

He’s still shaking his head as everything blurs around me, sending me into an unfamiliar white room.

Lana.

Her usually smiling face looks hopeless. Her eyes are dull, red-rimmed, and tired looking. Her hair is thrown up into a messy bun, loose curls falling in front of her face. A limp hand is clasped in between her own.

“Marina, darling..” her voice is cracking, pain ringing through the soft tone. “..please, wake up. I can’t do this without you..” A tear slips down her cheek.

My heart cracks open, guilt and pain searing through it. “I’m gonna be okay, I promise! Don’t fucking cry over me! I’m not worth it!” I yell at her, but she is unfazed. She can’t see me or hear me.

“Please..” she repeats, her voice getting quieter. She sobs, burying her face in my hand. I rush over to her, kneeling down in front of her.

“Lana, baby,” I coo, even though she can’t hear me. I just needed to say it, I couldn’t help it. “I’ll be awake soon enough, please stop crying, love.” A tear rolls off of my cheek, I didn’t even realize I that I’m crying. She sniffs, clutching my lifeless hand harder. “Even if I don’t make it, you will be okay. You’ll find someone you deserve.” I take a deep breath, coming to terms with what might happen to me.

The heart monitor hooked up to my body starts to slow down a bit. Fuck. I have to go back.

She sobs harder, her head falling into her lap.

“Lana!” I scream, but I feel myself being torn away from this moment in time, everything around me is fading out. “LANA!” I fall to my knees as I’m ripped away from her.

I bury my face in my hands. I can feel Calvin’s eyes on me, but I refuse to look up at him. It’s starting to get harder to breathe, it feels as if the air is being forced out of my lungs.

Calvin grabs me by my arms and pulls me up to my feet, but my knees give out again and I collapse into his arms. He keeps a strong hold on me, but he says nothing. I look up at him, searching for words to say.

“I tried to warn you, Marina. I really did.” He frowns, a pitiful expression on his face. “I’m begging you not to think about that. Please, just try to get back to her as hard as you can.”

Another sob gets caught in my throat. I force myself to speak.

“I’m going to wake up and be with her no matter what. I can promise you that much.”

He smiles at me. "I know you, Marina. I know how hard headed and determined you are. Don't let me down. Don't let Lana down." 

I get steady on my feet. I wipe my cheeks of the warm tears, and I force a grin on my face. "You know I won't ever let that happen again."

----

Author's note: I apologise about the chapter being so short, I'm currently half asleep. I promise the next chapter will be longer, and I'll try to get it done before Sunday. Anyhow, if you liked it, let me know!