Chapter 22

It hadn't even been an hour and Flame's plan was already in chaos.

They were supposed to have been spending a relaxing morning drinking hot leaf stuff in which Flame would have impressed Umber by being super sweet and open-minded. But NOPE.

Instead those two shit-heads at the Tea House had to ruin everything by being shit-heads. It had taken every inch of Flame's will not to set their table on fire. He had felt the sparks igniting in his throat, begging him to open his maw and let the burning justice do its work.

It had been Umber's gentle touch that had stopped him; it had cleared his mind and stunted the anger before it had taken over. Now, as they fled from the scene of the crime, wings pumping and hearts pounding, he could feel the shallow sting of guilt. Guilt in himself for almost losing it...again.

Come on, Flame. You're better than this! He mentally repeated what Umber had told him, but honestly he wasn't so sure that was true. Maybe this was as good as it got.

Flame stiffened his wing as a hard gust hit him from the left. The winds on this side of the mountain were much more finicky but easy enough to handle with a SkyWing's wingspan. Flame checked behind him to see how the MudWing was doing. Umber was wobbling from the force of the wind but seemed to be keeping up just fine. He also cast a glance back in the direction they had come from, making sure no angry, cake-covered dragons were following them.

Even though Flame did feel guilty about almost losing it, he didn't take all the blame. Those prissy pampered piles of shit had it coming.

The two males headed towards the middle district, where all the local shops were located. As they approached from the air Flame could tell right away it was nowhere near as organized or clean as the stuck-up tourist district. Little shops were set up all over the winding streets as they slithered down the face of the mountain. Somewhere in the middle of the district was the day market that sold all sorts of foods, both raw and cooked, and as they flew over a pungent smell assaulted Flame's nose. The scent was that of various foods being sold from the street vendors mixed together with the strong musk of dragon that came off the stampeding crowds below as they clogged the walkways and roads.

So this is the big food market that mother used to always talk about. Flame felt a whip of spite run through him. Hrmph, it's not THAT great. Like, definitely not so amazing that you would leave your dragonet behind with the Talons of Peace while you went off to look at the shops!

Every time he had confronted his mother for leaving him she had always said the same thing: You'll understand when you're older.

He still didn't understand. In fact, he doubted there was anything to understand. It had all been bullshit. She had just wanted him out of the way.

"Where are we going?" Umber shouted, trying to penetrate the whirs of the winds as it whistled past their ears.

"Uhh..." Flame scouted around for a spot to land. A little further down from the day market was a smaller congregation of shops that were pushed tightly together along the narrow street.

Compared to the market next door this little street was virtually empty, save for a few dragons here and there, bustling about with bags full of goods or whatever the hell they needed. Flame directed Umber's attention to the spot and they touched down on the gravely dirt road.

"Do you think we were followed?" Umber asked, looking to the sky. Flame assumed he was worried about the dragons from the restaurant giving chase, but when Flame turned to him to answer he couldn't help but notice the mischievous twinkle in the MudWing's eyes.