Chapter 9-Peaceful Days in the Chaos

Chapter 9—Peaceful Days in the Chaos

The next morning when Kira awakened from his slumber, he removed the blanket that was lying on him, but he remembered the incident last night, which caused him to immediately sat up at a very fast speed. He shook his head to wake himself up, and stood up from his bed with a yawn. He was still sleepy after his struggle with the reoccurring nightmares, only to leave him sleep deprived. Although he was lucky he wasn't on duty for patrols until later so he could try to catch up on his sleep.

As Kira would occasionally scratched his head while he stared at the wall in wonderment, something finally crossed his mind. He turned his head back to the bed, only to discover the other side was empty. He tilted his head to the side; normally his partner, Hikari, would have been asleep next to him, but this time she wasn't there.

Maybe she decided to sleep in her own room last night......

He continued to look at the empty spot for a moment longer, then he walked over to the dresser, changed into his clothes and stepped out into the living room. But—

"Good morning, Kira-kun."

"Uwah!!"

A familiar but unexpected voice caused him to jump at the greeting, he turned to see who greeted him, only to find his former mentor leaning against the kitchen counter with a smug smile on her face. Her arms were crossed over her chest which made her assets rather more visible for Kira to see. His cheeks turned a shade of red, he averted his eyes to make it look like it he wasn't looking.

"S-senpai, don't do that! You scared the life out of me!"

"Fufufu, did I now?"

She questioned him with a mischievous smile, hinting that she was up to something. Even though he suspected that much, there was no way he could tell for sure so he decided to ignore his suspicion for the time being, he let out a sigh and asked her:

"Umm, senpai, how... how did you get in here exactly?"

"Oh? Well that's pretty easy, talk to your partner."

Lena pointed over to the doorway. He moved his eyes and noticed Hikari standing by the entrance with a rather troubled expression. Confused about why she was just standing there, Kira fixed his former mentor a look.

"What's going on, Lena-senpai?"

There was no immediate response, apart from her "fufu" laugh, she continued to gaze at him with a mischievous stare. Kira gritted his teeth in annoyance, but as he was about to demand a response from her, he heard her utter out one statement which made his whole body stiffen.

"Us three—you, Hikari and I—we're all going to the hot springs together."

The air around them froze with a suspenseful silence, and then—

"Eeeeeh!?" 

****

"Umm, Lena­-senpai... c­could you tell me why Hikari's also here?"

Kira watched Lena open her eyes to gaze at him and his partner, who had her down to avoid eye contact with him. He noticed a faint tint of red that stained Hikari's cheeks, which were poorly covered by her wet hair which brought out her blush even more. His eyes moved down from her face to her exposed shoulders that were partly submerged under water. Her beautiful snow­white skin made his heart race just by staring at her.