Chapter 4

"Gem?" Xander asked, shifting in his chair.

Cooper and I looked up to him, the fluorescent strip lights of the cafeteria making my eyes strain due to my lack of sleep. Xander had made it a habit to sit with me at lunch for the past few days. At first, I was more annoyed than I probably should've been, but after a couple days, I became accustomed to him and so did Olivia and Cooper. When we looked at him expectantly, he continued. "I have a football g-"

"Hey, y'all!" I heard the cheerful voice of my roommate as she plopped her things down on my right. "Who's going to the game on Friday?"

"Uh-huh," I nodded, averting my eyes from Olivia on my right, to Xander in the seat in front of me, to Cooper next to Xander.

"And Xander's playing in it," she winked at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh yeah, Xander, I forgot to mention that Liv is a complete fangirl of you!"

"I am not a fangirl!" Olivia whined in an accusing voice and leaned forward. "Besides, you're his number one fan, Aura." She giggled at my death glare I was sending her then she turned to Xander. "I expect you to treat my Aurora well. If you don't-"

"Ok!" I interrupted her before she said something even more embarrassing. "That's enough."

"You're babies will be hot!" Olivia blurted out-of-nowhere. Xander, Cooper, and I all stared at her, waiting for her to explain. "Sorry, I'm just trying to imagine our lives in ten years. And from my predictions, when your kids are done cookin', they're gonna be good looking."

"You're so weird," I stated, amusement dancing on my face. "I hope you know that."

I heard her grumble something like "just you watch," before continuing to eat her lunch. She always loved irritating me. I chuckled softly, shifting my gaze to Cooper who had been oddly silent from the beginning of lunch.

"Cooper, you look a little upset, and you didn't speak for more than two minutes. What's up?"

Cooper frowned down at his grade sheet, obviously not approving of his grades. "My grades are declining along with my want to succeed," he groaned and ran his hands down his face. "I'm gonna get suspended from the team like you if I don't get a better grade in Biology. I don't know how Xander here doesn't even go to class and just gets good grades."

Cooper had always been a try-hard, but you wouldn't have believed that at first look. I appreciated that about him. He always encouraged me to succeed since we were always each others greatest competitors. Friendly competition, we liked to say, but we both knew we would kill each other if we were in the Hunger Games.

"Hey, I just study the material out of class. I love seeing the teachers always question if I cheated when I get A's on quizzes and tests," Xander said with a chuckle.

"Coop, I don't think you'll get suspended. Coach has always loved you since freshman year. And I could help you?" I offered.

"No offense, Rory, but you're not somebody I'd want as a tutor. I mean, you're already suspended on the team." 

I grumbled under my breath and harshly bit into my green apple.

"I could help, if you want." Xander shrugged.

"Nah, it's fine," Cooper dismissed, his ego getting in his way.

I snapped my gaze to Xander and leaned over the table to him. "What about me? Help me, please?"

"Yeah, sure. Anything for you," he bared his pearly whites, ruffling my light brown hair.

"Thank you!" I smiled gratefully, making his head fall back as he laughed, just as the bell rang.