Chapter 15

"Ready?" Cooper asked with wide eyes as we stood outside the neon-lighted mansion, pumping with the latest music.

I sighed, looking down at my cropped red top and my black body con skirt which made me seem older than the meek ninth grader I was. I looked back up to a cluster of wasted high schoolers on the lawn playing a game of beer pong.

"Of course I'm ready." I averted my eyes to Cooper. He noticed my fidgeting and offered me a warm smile to comfort my obvious nerves.

"Let's go then."

We walked into the house, where the music got even louder, and the scent of sweat and alcohol and a hint of cigarettes hovered through the sticky air. The bass of the music thumped throughout my body, matching the beats of my heartbeat as it tempted me to let loose.

"Cooper," I yelled over the roar of the music and the busy chatter among the huge crowds. "Let's get drinks!"

He nodded and we made our way to the drink stand, the music slightly lessening as we furthered away from it.

"Eh, it's cheap, but it'll do the job," he said after he drunk it to make sure it wasn't messed with. Although we were only freshman, Cooper had his fair share of parties since he had been going with his friends since the beginning of the summer. I had went to a few, but decided that I'd rather not go with Cooper's group of obnoxious friends.

I poured the alcohol into my red cup, and brought the forbidden drink up to my lips before suddenly having a coughing fit.

"Gosh!" I squeaked at the sudden sting it had on my throat. "I'm never gonna get used to that."

"You will. But for tonight, just don't have too much. I'll order us an Uber when you're ready to leave."

I scoffed. "Kay. Ugh, this is so gross. I don't even want anymore," I said.

We stood for a bit and talked, and I refilled my cup about four times just to help me let loose tonight.

"Parker?" Cooper said to somebody behind me. My body spun around and I was faced with a very structured face.

"Hey Coop!" the boy, or Parker, said with a wide grin. "I didn't know you were coming! I haven't seen you in weeks, bro."

"It's been too long," Cooper said, returning his smile with equal excitement.

Suddenly, it clicked. One of Cooper's friends he would always party with was named Parker. He would always hook Cooper and his friends up with an invite to a party, somehow. They met at a football game, and ever since Parker has been like Cooper's older brother. Cooper has told me so much about him, I practically have an autobiography of Parker in my head.

"And who is this?" He asked, giving me a once over.

"Aurora White," I smirked his direction, looking him over also. "I'm Cooper's bestest friend, like ever."

"Don't get cocky," he gently smiled. "Also, I don't believe 'bestest' is a word."

"So what's it to you?"

"Ah, your eyes," he said, looking into my emerald orbs. "They're mesmerizing."

"Why thank you," I smiled. My green eyes usually were the point of my facial features which stood out. Only 2 percent of the world has green eyes, and I took pride in that.

He stepped closer, "Let's go dance, yeah?"

The song changed to one of my favorites, Weekend by Louis the Child.