Chapter 14

"Great job, you two," Ms. Westley said, praising Ember and Brett as they took their seats. "We only have time for Aurora and Xander for Scene 5," she said, her voice noticeably less enthusiastic as she called our names.

"You ready?" He whispered to me, standing up out of his desk.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I sighed as I followed after him to the front of the classroom, our peers eyes on us. "You better not forget your lines or I'm actually going to kill you."

"You know, I have literally six lines," he chuckled quietly so nobody could hear. "I don't think I'll forget."

"You forget the way you prepare your coffees. I think you're gonna forget."

He fake-frowned and put his hand over his heart. "Have a little faith in me, would you?"

"Okay, go," Ms. Westley signaled as she sat back in her chair and I took a deep breath in.

"Your hand," he took a pause to take my hand in his, just as it said in the script, "is a holy place that my hand is unworthy to visit. If you're offended by the touch of my hand, my two lips are standing here, ready to make things better with a kiss."

"You don't give your hand enough credit," I said, reciting the lines from memory. "By holding my hand you show polite devotion. Holding one palm against another is like a kiss."

"Don't saints and pilgrims have lips too?"

"They have lips that they're supposed to pray with."

"Well then, let lips do what hands do." He took a quick pause to remember his line. "I'm praying for you to kiss me. Grant my prayer so my faith doesn't turn to despair."

"Saints don't move, even when they grant prayers," I slowly said, jogging my memory for the next line.

"Then don't move while I act out my prayer."

We awkwardly lingered there as we looked back at Ms. Westley who was smiling her sinister smile.

"Go on, now," she said, waving her hand.

"But-" I started just to be cut off by her.

"Docking five points." She looked down and penned something on her clipboard. "Continue."

I rolled my eyes before turning back to Xander. "I have a boyfriend," I whispered just as he leaned in.

"I know you do." He chuckled quietly, his breath fanning my lips as he crept closer and closer with every passing second.

I instinctually shut my eyes seconds as fire burnt in every one of my cells as he finally pressed his lips to mine. His calloused hands still kept hold of my hand, causing shocks to prick my palms as he kept his firm grasp. Every spark, every shock, lasting quite literally a split second, he pulled away.

What. The.  Actual. Hell.

"Now my sin has been taken from my lips by yours," Xander stiffly recited from memory, breaking the brittle silence hovering in the air.

"Oh, um," I stuttered, trekking my memory for my line. "Um, now my sin has been taken from my lips by yours."

"Sin from my lips? You encourage crime with your sweetness. Give me my sin back," he calmly finished.

We turned back to Ms Westley just as the class gave a faint applause, just like they did for other partners. It was just a courtesy.

"Nice job," Ms. Westley said with an eyebrow raise. "You forgot some of your lines momentarily, Aurora, and you were a little choppy, Xander."