Chapter 6

Astrid and Caitlin stared intently across the dining table at Martha Kent who had just finished telling them her story. Martha then added, "I really don't believe that my son was... as you say affected... by the shower... I think..."

Caitlin didn't need Astrid's mind reading abilities to understand what Mrs Kent was thinking. Could it at all be possible that young Clark Kent was the reason that the meteor shower had occurred in the first place?

Astrid looked at her phone. Barry was calling. Why hadn't he been using the damn Bluetooth headset? She wondered. She answered the call. "Barry? Why aren't you..."

"No time! Astrid. Oliver received coordinates. We're going underground... I'm standing in the cornfield so I need you two to excuse yourselves." Barry told her.

Astrid looked over at Caitlin and nodded. The two of them clambered to their feet. "Mrs Kent, we need to go..." Astrid told her in a hurry.

Caitlin took Martha's hands. "You know who we are and what we do... If you ever want to bring Clark to us. If he is ever needs medical help... please, I want you to know that you can trust us... We are studying everything related to the meteor shower and we have gathered..."

Astrid knew that she would be seeming rude at this point. "Caitlin, we need to go now... Barry is waiting..." Caitlin excused herself, and the two of them raced outside and headed into the cornfield, unaware that Martha could still see them through her window. She witnessed them standing with a figure in a red suit one minute... and gone the next.

Barry, Caitlin and Astrid met Oliver and Diggle in a secluded cave on the outskirts of town.
"Ollie, this doesn't seem much like a lair to keep prisoners. Nobody seems to be here." Astrid said as she followed her friends into the dark cave.

Oliver held up a small torch and led the group further, "You would be surprised, Star. Sometimes a cave makes the best place." He thought back to a time back on the island.

"Star?" Caitlin asked Astrid, "You have to admit, that sounds quite cute!"
Astrid didn't reply.

"Oliver, you said that Lionel just gave you the coordinates?" Barry had a hard time believing this information.
"He received a call and just handed the coordinates over. Whoever is behind this seems to be using Lionel as a pawn in his game too." Oliver told him.

Barry thought back to Dr Sutherland at Luthor corp. It sure looked like Robert Sutherland, Astrid's father. He needed to tell her. She needed to know what was going on. She was right behind him so he turned to her, missing his step and stumbling in the darkness, almost tripping Astrid and Caitlin.

"Barry, are you ok?" Caitlin asked him. He couldn't see a thing, but he knew that he was fine, nonetheless. Caitlin and Astrid helped him to his feet. "Astrid, there is something you need to know..."

Oliver and John who had continued walking forward, called out to them. They had stopped instantly, and were staring down at the space directly in front of their feet. Caitlin, Barry and Astrid made their way towards the two men, who stopped them before they could walk any further.

Before them was a very deep and very dark pit. Oliver shun the torchlight around, looking for a way around the pit. There was none.

"Any idea how deep it is?" Astrid asked. John picked up a rock and threw it down the pit. It took a while and eventually they heard a faint splash. "Whose up for a swim?" Barry asked them all. Caitlin tried to hesitate but Barry took hold of her and in a moment they were both gone.

Oliver attached the torch to his suit, shot an anchor arrow to the other side of the cave wall and took hold of Astrid's waist and swung over the mouth of the pit, hoisting them down, steadily.