The Beginning

Later that day I found myself back in the place I had last seen Loki: the same room in which Coulson had drawn his final breath. Two of the Avengers soon joined me and despite my wishes for a quiet place to think, Steve and Tony quickly began to argue. As I stood, contemplating possible location of the trickster, the two men continued to be at each other's throats. Finally I was broken completely from my stream of thought by a stern statement from Stark.

"We are not soldiers."

The silence seemed to fall upon us like a heavy blanket and suddenly I had no wish for it.

"I'm not marching to Fury's fife," Tony added.

"He was building weapons, none of us are other than Tasha and Clint. But unfortunately we now have a god on our hands who just so happens to have an infinity stone so put the petty arguments aside for a moment because I doubt the world is ready for an alien invasion. Thanos has a formidable army that could easily wipe out our planet so let's focus on that, we can deal with SHIELD's ulterior motives later," I cut in, glaring at the two men.

"He made it personal," Stark noticed, glancing at the blood on the wall that had not yet been removed.

"That's not the point," Steve retorted.

"He's right. That is Loki's point. His strength comes from his mind, not any physical prowess. In case you have not noticed, he is a master manipulator," I stated.

"He wants to tear us apart," the blonde added.

"Yea, divide and conquer is great but he wants to win. He wants to beat us, he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience."

"So a big city," I said quietly as Tony paced, deep in thought.

"Right," Rogers noted, "I caught his act in Stuttgart.

"That's just previous. This is opening night, and Loki is a full tale diva."

Stark's statement made me let out a chuckle as I realized he had a point and remembered all of the times Loki had pulled random stunts for attention.

"He wants flowers, he wants a parade, he wants a monument built to the skies with his name plastered-"

"Stark Tower," I interrupted, just as Tony's eyes flooded with realization.

"Son of a bitch," the man muttered, running off to most likely get his suit.

Steve and I exchanged a glance and nodded in unison before taking off in separate directions. I jogged up to my room and managed to strip down to only my undergarments before Loki appeared in front of me.

"Illusion," I noted, using the clothes in my arms to cover myself as best I could while the god stared down at me.

"Anastasia," he greeted, averting his eyes to the ground.

"So you have the manners to avert your eyes but no incentive to keep from killing my friend?" I spat, glaring daggers at the man before me.

"I didn't know you were close to him-"

"That doesn't mean you can just go around killing people Loki! What do you think you are doing? Even if you win, you will be gaining what you want at the cost of everything you really need."

"What?" he scoffed.

I shook my head disappointingly, unwilling to explain something so blatantly obvious.

"Loki you think that ruling this planet will make you better? Is your desire to rule so strong that you need something lower than you? You simply want others to be small so that you can feel big. Why did you come to me?" I asked, forcing my eyes to keep from watering as Loki's jaw tightened in anger.