Mending

I had spent days with Loki in his cell, fearful to leave him alone to his thoughts for long as I knew he would find it hard to forgive himself for the loss of his mother. The first day, I watched him trash the cell with his magic, ducking under any furniture that came my way as I was sure he was to enraged to stop them from striking me. The second, he finally stopped pacing in anger and instead sat against the wall. His hair was ruffled and the dark circles under his eyes were more than enough proof that the god was exhausted. Last night, we finally slept. I held his cold form against my body throughout the night until I felt the presence of a guard approach. Now I stood in the cell, staring down at Loki as he watched through hazy eyes.

"I have to leave. I stayed far too long," I whispered, tracing a circle on his cheek with the pad of my thumb comfortingly before giving a sympathetic smile and teleporting back to my room.

For the better part of the day, I sparred against various warriors, defeating them all until Thor himself approached me. My scimitar was at his throat in an instant, my rage blinding me.

"We have to free Loki," he stated lowly, pushing my blade from his neck.

I quickly replaced the blade so that it was once again at his throat and glared intently.

"I will be killed," I hissed.

"You do not have to assist us, in fact you could report us to Odin after we are far enough-"

"Thor. He will have me executed if Loki escapes for any reason," I said, glaring dangerously at the god and wondering if he would be willing to sacrifice me.

"I will not let that happen," Thor retorted quietly.

"You know very well that you cannot stop your father. Why do you want Loki free?" I interrogated, gaze locked with his.

"Jane needs help. I have a plan-"

"You would have me killed for the sake of your mortal lover," I hissed venomously.

"The Aether must be destroyed-"

"Good luck with that! It's an infinity stone, only another could stand the chance of destroying it and even if you managed that, it would be worse than setting off a nuke. The only thing you can do is have the Aether removed and trapped in someone or something other than Jane," I said smoothly, reaching out for Loki's consciousness as I felt him prod at my own.

As Thor processed the information, he seemed to become lost deep in thought.

"Thor, you cannot ask me to sacrifice myself for something that is most likely to backfire. Take Loki from his cell if you wish but my blood will be on your hands," I stated monotonously, lowering my blade before taking a small step backwards.

I was sure that Loki heard my statement, as I felt a spike of rage pierce through our connection while he reviewed my memories of the last few minutes. After weighing my options and seeing the god of thunder's face fall, I gave Thor a curt nod.

"I'll help," I sighed, sheathing my weapons before teleporting back to my room and throwing all of them onto the mattress.

After feeling that Loki's anger had not subsided, I chose to once again join him in his cell.

'If I'm going to die anyways, might as well spend as much time with him as I can,' I thought to myself sadly before appearing in Loki's cell, well aware that my life was a small price to pay if the Aether could be kept out of any enemy's hands.

"No harm will come to you," a raspy voice reassured, bringing my gaze to a crumpled figure against the wall of the cell: Loki.

The god was holding his left shoulder gently and blood was smeared on the bottom of his foot, seeming to be dripping from a wound in his calf. Worries for my own life pushed aside, I hurried over to him and instantly slid onto my knees.