Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

I woke up to a dry, unbearable heat.

I blinked my eyes open, grimacing as I reached up to rub at my eyes. My head was resting on a soft white satin pillow with gold tassels. I stared at the glass nightstand across from me, now clean and the puddle from my wet clothes soaked up. I rose onto my elbows, turning to stare at the balcony, the brown curtains billowing with a soft hot breeze that blew in. I scowled, gathering up the thin silk sheets and carrying it around myself as I made my way to the balcony and stared out at the city below.

I was on the highest floor of the building, getting a clear view of what had to be one of the biggest cities I'd ever seen. The city stretched on with three long rivers weaving in and out of buildings, bridges, and even disappearing into lakes or ponds. There was one large lake just off to the right with small islands inside. One of the rivers ran along side the building we were in, with cranes and crocodiles making it their home. The buildings ranged from small wooden homes to more modern sleek white or brown homes. There were a few golden temples out in the distance, some stretching alongside the river behind our building. Most of them were rather small, with only the temples and city buildings being a couple stories high, none as high as the one we were in.

The air was rich with the scent of spices, sand, and water. Exotic music jingled and rang through the streets, hundreds of people moving about, chattering and singing and laughing. It was like I'd just stepped into the past. It appeared the rulers of Duat had fought the modern age as much as possible. It was an odd mixture of Ancient Egypt and maybe a small town in the modern mortal realm. It was difficult to put into words.

Even weirder was the sky. Several small suns made a circle in the sky above, making everything bright. The water glittered and jewelry sparkled.

"Damn." I breathed, leaning on the doorway and folding my arms over my chest, holding the sheet against my chest there.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" I blinked, then narrowed my eyes in irritation, but didn't turn around to face Lucifer. I could feel him moving around behind me before he was at my side, staring out over the city. He looked so odd without his signature white leather uniform. Because of the intense heat of Duat, Lucifer was wearing a pair of silk white pants and a white tank top that fell past his waist. His blonde hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail, and his jaw was stubbled from lack of a shave. I subconsciously reached up and rubbed at my cheek, which was a bit sore from his nuzzling me.

"It's hot." I said after a while. Lucifer looked at me.

"Well, shower up. There's a change of clothes for you on the rack in the bathroom. I'll wait out here to show you around." He replied. I said nothing to that, just gave him a short nod before retreating to the bathroom that was across from the bed. The bathroom was luxeriously old-fashioned, but beautiful. One side was occupied by a large rectangular bathroom with a glass door that disappeared into the wall, to close the tub off so three shower heads could create the shower. The sink and toilet were on the other side, square and beige. The walls were made of tan and white stones to match the marbled floor. I stepped into the tub and sank down, sighing in relief at the warm water that instantly spurt out of the faucets. I cleaned off before stepping out of the tub, spotting the wooden rack nearby where my clothes were.

Of course, Lucifer would pick something like this for me to wear.

It made me think of Ambrosius's usual attire.

A cropped sleeveless turtleneck and loose black pants. I rolled my eyes and pulled the clothes on before finding a band to pulled my hair back into a loose ponytail that I draped over my shoulder. I gave my reflection in the nearby mirror a grimace before stepping out of the bathroom to see Lucifer sitting on the bed, reviewing the notes I'd made about my retaliation against the Titans. I glared and stormed over, snatching it up out of his grasp, making him jerk his head up.