Chapter Five: 27th December 1960

Snow fell, not in flakes, but in chunks

Snow fell, not in flakes, but in chunks. Massive, loose chunks of snow as big as Della's fist hit the car like someone was hurling snowballs at them. The little Triumph Herald shook and shuddered with the effort of forcing its path through the flurries on the road, as the squeaky wipers battled to shift snow from the windscreen fast enough so they could see out. They were late and now they'd be later. If they'd left on time, they might have avoided the snow all together. It'd only been snowing for ten minutes.

In the driver's seat, Phil was bundled up in his new grey herringbone Chesterfield coat. A coat befitting of a young, newly qualified solicitor and a Christmas gift from his parents. He dutifully wore the woolly scarf and gloves Della had given him as well, but the thick clothing hampered his movement and made it harder to drive. She could see him losing his temper as he tried to keep the car moving, revving the engine alarmingly even though they were only creeping forward slowly.

Phil yanked the gloves off and threw them behind him so he could grip the gear stick better. 'This is too much,' he muttered. 'Just... too much. We should turn back.'

'We're nearly there now.'

'I don't see why we have to come all the way out here...'

'Because this is where they're having the show.'

'Litherland? What the hell is in Litherland?'

'The Beatles,' she replied, and smiled, but Phil cast her a scowl in return.

'I think we should go back. We have to drive home afterwards. It might get worse.'

'I'm sure we'll be fine,' Della said breezily, but she'd already had to switch the radio off because it kept repeating, The public are urged not to make any unnecessary journeys as at least five inches of snow is expected to fall...

'I'm turning around, Della.'

'Okay. Stop the car then.'

'What?'

'Let me out. I'll walk the rest of the way. If you want to go home, you can, but I'm going to see the band.'

He pursed his thin lips. 'Don't be so... obtuse.'