Chapter Twenty-Six: 22nd August 1964

There was an upside down hierarchy on the plane

There was an upside down hierarchy on the plane. The staff - that included Brian, Mal, Neil and Della - sat at the front of the plane. Then the support acts were somewhere around the middle, followed by the journalists, who competitively positioned themselves next to the star attraction - The Beatles, who sat at the back, like naughty school boys on the bus.

While they were travelling, Della would usually stay near Brian so she could write down what he asked her to do, or reel off the itinerary for him on request, but not today. Today she was at the back of the plane with the boys, sitting next to George, writing postcards on the little fold down airline tray and hiding.

Her job role on Beatles tours differed from other tours, mostly because Brian was rarely present on other artists tours. He came to some of Gerry's dates, a few more of Cilla's, who he had a soft spot for, and a couple of Tommy Quickley's, as he was still struggling to make his break through, but hardly ever to any others. It was understandable - the Beatles monopolised everyone's time and it felt like they were never off the road - but that didn't stop anyone complaining when they saw Della had been sent in place of Brian.

On Beatles tours, Della played more of an assistant role to the boys and to Brian, and although he had a team of assistants that he was always adding more people to, there was always still much more to do. Among others on this tour was Brian's personal secretary, Wendy, Derek Taylor who was along in some sort of press officer and personal assistant capacity, Bess Coleman who was Derek's secretary, Mal and Neil of course, and then Della, who took care of everything no else wanted to do; usually the dogsbody jobs like laundry and ironing and finding the particular brand of cigarettes the boys liked to smoke - they're just not available in the US, John, and you'll have to live with that! But the one thing, the one paramountly important thing Della was responsible for, were hotel reservations.

On the eve of the Beatles US tour - in fact only a few hours before the plane from London Airport was due to take off - the Ambassador Hotel, Los Angeles, called and cancelled their booking.

The office had been deserted by 6pm, as it typically was the day before a tour kicked off. Those going on the tour would have other things to take care of, and those staying behind took advantage of the fact they were all out of office by buggering off home early. Which was taking liberties, if you asked Della, because it was a Monday after all.