Chapter Thirty: 28th August 1964

Temper, temper! Beatle George's protest at unwanted press intrusion

Every paper he opened, that bloody photo was there. Three days and it seemed to be spreading further and further with every stop along the tour.

There were stories in the Los Angeles papers the day after. George had opened the pages of one on the plane to Denver and found himself staring back, a menacing expression on his face that he didn't recognise in himself.

By Cincinatti, the following day, it'd made the nationals. Beatle George throws drink over photographer. More pictures of George being jostled and shoved, head first, arse in the air, over the crowds. The only way to get out of the shoebox that had been the Whisky a Go-Go. 'Not very dignified, George,' Brian said. He'd been right about that.

And now three days later and it was in the New York paper. On the showbiz gossip pages and only probably because the Beatles were playing there tonight, but still, this story didn't seem to be showing any signs of dying out.

The story centred on George, mainly because that bastard photographer managed to capture the exact moment he threw the water, aiming for him and mostly getting Della. It made for a dramatic image. They missed the more obvious story; John Lennon with Jayne Mansfield to George's left. Shortly before George had stood up to throw the water, Jayne had inched her hand up his leg, pushed her fingers in between his thighs and eventually found, to George's surprise, what she'd been searching for. She let her hand rest there. Over it. Just cupping it, casual as you like. He'd tried to catch John's eye, but he had his head down. No wonder. If that's what Jayne was doing to George, God knows what she was doing to John. John, who'd spent at least two of the three nights in Los Angeles in bed with her.

He'd been relieved when Jo got there and he could sit her in between them. He was, to a degree, used to being pushed and pulled around now, but a Hollywood movie star grabbing your cock in a public bar was a still bit of an eye-opener. Especially one like Jayne Mansfield. One of the women George used to dream about as a teenager. It was all a little... overwhelming, and he wasn't sure the reality of meeting her quite matched the fantasies he'd had in his teens.