Chapter Fourteen: 18th June 1963

This chapter is dedicated to Billy Hatton who passed away in September 2017.

Della had never planned a party before, and technically, she hadn't planned this one, but all the same, she was rather proud of the way it was going

Della had never planned a party before, and technically, she hadn't planned this one, but all the same, she was rather proud of the way it was going. Della's main contribution had been sending the invitations and ensuring everyone knew where to go. She had a brief period of panic when it reached 7pm and hardly anyone was here, but after a while, slowly but surely, the guests started to arrive. 

By half past eight, there must have been more than a hundred people trying to cram into the marquee, the garden surrounding and every room of Paul's Auntie Jin's house. Although Della had diligently addressed and sent invitations to everyone on the list she was given by Paul's Aunt Milly, there were many faces she didn't recognise. Mostly members of Paul's extended family, all of whom seemed to know exactly who Della was.

'Della!' Jim, Paul's father called, his face slightly pink. He put his arm around Della's shoulders as he pointed to people, all vaguely similar looking; dark hair, dark eyes and round faces. 'This is Paul's Auntie Edie and Auntie Joan, I don't think you've met them. Joan is Joe's wife. And here's Dill, she's Bill's wife and Milly and Jin you know of course--'

Della smiled and nodded as the women all clucked and cooed over her. Joan and Joe and Jin and Mill and Dill and Bill... She'd never remember them all.

'Oh, you are a pretty girl!' one of the aunts told her.

'I said, didn't I say?'

'Who's your mother, dear? Do I know her?'

'Um, she's...' Della started.

'Oh! Don't you have lovely hair?! What a lovely colour it is! And so soft!'

'Where did you grow up? Did Paul say you were from Speke?'

'Yes, I...'

'Where do you work, my love?'

'I...'

'Brian Epstein! She works for Brian Epstein!'

'Della is an unusual name. Is it short for something?'