•9•

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
~Alice
• • •
Listen to Here with You by Lost Frequencies and Netsky for this chapter.
• • •

"No, Leo, let's go," I said, tears forming in my eyes and a wave of nausea passing over me.

"Stay," he whispered, gripping my arm tightly.

I could see Mr. and Mrs. Finley sitting at the dining table of their house, the other two chairs as empty as ever. The large stain-glass windows up front gave us a whole view of the living room and the kitchen as well, and I could make out the place had grown lonelier and lonelier as the years had gone by.

A part of me felt guilty for leaving them alone like this in such a sad state for so long, but the other half of me knew why I couldn't bring myself to come.

The house they lived in was the exact same as mine, just facing the opposite direction. I was surprised they still lived there, though, what with the amount of desolation and misery the old memories of the place had cast on them. Mom told me it was because they couldn't afford another place. I knew that couldn't have been the entire truth, however, because of the amount they would've received from the damage.

Something always told me it was just attachment. Sentimental value, perhaps. Maybe the house reminded them of the happiness they once felt....

• • •

"Vroom vroom!" shrieked six-year-old Robin enthusiastically.

"My car is faster than yours!" I shouted, clapping my hands in delight.

She scowled. "Well, not for long!"

And we pushed our toy cars once again at full speed.

Mom made sure she only bought me so-called boy's toys instead of plastic kitchen sets and Barbie dolls. She believed that these toys encouraged girls to only be interested in cooking, cleaning and taking care of babies, and she didn't want me to be like that. Honestly, I wasn't too bothered by her beliefs. I adored my cars, I got used to my name and it was actually kind of nice to have my mom be so particular on my well-being. She really cared about me back then, that was for sure.

Although I didn't mind my mom's crazy theories most of the time, I wasn't going to lie and say I completely loved them either. Sometimes a girl just wants to be a girl! I loved to play dress-up, for instance. And my tea parties. I even loved the colour pink. Sometimes my mom might've just forgotten I was a girl altogether.

"Hey, Skott?" Robin nudged my arm. "Can we be princesses when we grow up?"

I laughed. "Don't be silly, Robin. My mom would never let me."

Robin frowned. "Right, I forgot. She'll probably make you a prince instead."

See what I'm talking about?

We played with our cars in silence for a while until Robin suddenly jumped up with an idea.

"Tea party time?" She flashed a toothy grin. I jumped to my feet. "Last one to the front yard wins!" We both dashed out of the house at top speed, but alas, even with my three second head start, Robin was undeniably faster.