chapter xiii: another job

Jungkook can't breathe. The air has suddenly become rather thick and each attempt to breathe takes more effort—almost like he's drowning. There's also a ringing in his ears, like the constant echo of the clash of weapon against weapon, and it was drowning out all other sounds. His heart is still beating quickly, a harsh thump thump accompaniment to the ringing.

He can't really focus on anything, not with the image of these two people—two of his potential suitors, two people he might've married—fighting right in front of him. All he can think about is the fact that he could have almost died, again; a fact that despite happening from time to time still manages to unsettle him. While the threat is now gone, being swiftly dragged away by his not so swift guards, the panic still causes his body to tense. Without really thinking, he does what anyone would do in a panic: runs to safety.

Yoongi is suddenly very aware that there is a boy wrapped around him. Taken by surprise as he recovers from the fight, the assassin's attention returns to the present, to where he realises the king is holding him. Despite being almost taller than him, Jungkook manages to give off the impression of being smaller as he almost seems to seek refuge in the folds of Yoongi's clothes.

The older male isn't quite sure what to do. So, awkwardly, one hand drops to wrap around the boy and hold him while the other gives him an uncertain stroke of the hair. As he does this, he glances around for someone who might be able to take over this situation, someone who might take the boy from him. But no one seems to be, too busy either making sure the threat is thoroughly taken care of or freaking out about it. There's a bit of chaos, so everyone is possibly too preoccupied with themselves to worry about their king.

As his attention returns to the clinging raven, Yoongi notices that his shirt is beginning to grow damp. He's shocked out of his confusion, realising Jungkook is crying. Silently and unnoticeably, tears soak through the folds of light material.

"Hey, you're okay." Yoongi says softly as he pats the younger's hair. His grip, unwittingly, grows tighter and more protective, almost instinctively. Jungkook trembles in his arms. "The assassin's been taken care of; you're okay now. It's safe."

Jungkook doesn't move. Nor does he speak. He just continues to cling to the older, too overwhelmed by everything to even properly consider his actions. This has been the third assassination attempt in the past couple of weeks—a very noticeable increase compared to the usually much more manageable and much less frequent number—and the fear is really beginning to consume him. Never has he feared a birthday more than he has his eighteenth, the obvious cause in this increase. Despite his amulet, he's beginning to worry he might not even make it to adulthood.

He could have died. He could have died. He could–

"The assassin has gone now—she's not here. It's safe. You're safe. I won't let her hurt you. I won't let anyone hurt you." Yoongi's voice cuts through his thoughts, interrupting the unhelpful fear with his soothing tones. The older male may have absolutely no clue what he's doing—he's never really comforted a king before—it's rather successful on the younger. Even if this is just a part of the suitor's attempt to continue to win over the king's hand, Jungkook appreciates it.

It, however, is not quite enough to calm the boy down completely.

Namjoon is finally able to reach Jungkook. Relief floods Yoongi as he notices someone who might be able to take the king and look after him properly. Still holding the younger, the assassin watches as Namjoon approaches Jungkook and begins to talking to him. Speaking softly, he tries to convince the boy to come with him. Jungkook doesn't move.

Hoseok joins them, chattering comfortingly to his non-biological chick. All three are touching the boy in some way, with Yoongi holding him, Namjoon touching his arm, and Hoseok stroking his hair. It doesn't seem to work, and Jungkook still doesn't move.