chapter xxviii: happily ever after

When Yoongi wakes, he's lying in a bed with the small prince hovering beside him. Taejoon stares down at him with a blank, almost expectant face. But this changes the moment the older male's eyes open, bringing a small smile to his lips.

"I thought you were dead, but your friend said you weren't. I thought he was being nice—sometimes people lie because I'm young and they don't want to upset me." The boy tells him as Yoongi sits up. "But you're awake now, so you must be alive. Unless you are a ghost."

"I'm not a ghost." Yoongi groans, rubbing his sore legs. He's pushed himself hard to escape plenty of times, had plenty of near captures, but he's never pushed as hard as he did today—never had a life clinging to him, that he feels the need to save more than himself. "I just ran too hard."

The boy nods, understanding, "When Taehyung and I used to play and run around the castle, we'd fall asleep afterwards because we were so tired." The mention of his name reminds Yoongi that he has to return to the castle, both to rescue Taehyung and to keep an eye on Jungkook. He might be wanted, but he can't stop protecting the king—he can't let the uncle get to him. He'll protect Jungkook to the end of his life, if he has to.

So he pushes himself from the bed, causing Taejoon to take a step back to make room for him. But, as he begins to move around, the boy becomes his shadow, following him everywhere. Eventually Yoongi has to stop, turning to the small brunette still watching him expectantly, "You're going to have to stay here. My friend, the man you met earlier, will take care of you. But you cannot leave this house, no matter what, okay?"

"Okay, Yoongi." When Yoongi takes another experimental step, he's pleased to note the boy doesn't follow. But he does speak up, "You're going back, aren't you?"

"I have to. That's where your brother is." Taejoon nods.

"Good luck, Yoongi."

*  *  *

Rage is coursing through Jungkook's veins, filling his entire being with a near murderous intent—though it may have already passed 'near'. Tears, though beginning to grow more angry, are still wet on his cheeks but are falling far less. All he feels is hatred, hatred for a man he trusted and allowed to lead him. A man he almost allowed to dictate his entire life. A man he allowed to throw away his love. A man who killed his parents.

Jungkook barges into the hall where the uncle stands, talking to a supervisor. When they look up, noticing the king, the other male is waved away so it is just uncle and nephew. The dark haired male comes to a halt, glaring at the older man.

"Jungkook, what's the matter?"

"I know what you did." Jungkook is shaking, unable to control the trembles that run through his body. He can feel his powers waking up, growing hungry. "You lied to me. You lied to me time and time again." He pauses, watching as a confused expression takes over the older man's face. "Has anything you've ever said to me been the truth?"

"Jungkook, I think you're confused." The speckle-bearded man closes the gap between them and places his hand on Jungkook's shoulder. It may be supposed to look like an act of comfort, but all the younger can feel is him digging his claws in, attempting to maintain control. He's close now—uncomfortably close. "You thought you loved someone, they've broken your heart and now you're looking for someone to blame, someone to get angry with. That person isn't me—I have dedicated my life to caring for you."

"Lie." Jungkook spits as he pulls himself free, glowering at him. His amulet grows warm against his chest and he takes a step back, fearing danger from the older man. The heat doesn't leave. "You can't lie to me any longer. I've seen the true you. I know you hired Yoongi, Taehyung, god knows who else. And I know you killed my parents. You're a murderer!"