chapter xvii: the weakness

Protecting Jungkook is a surprisingly easy job, especially when the younger male seems insistent on staying in bed. Yoongi has quickly realised that lying in bed is the king's main form of sulking—because the young king of ravens isn't above sulking. The magpie lets out a tired sigh as he glances over at the dark haired boy, noting that he still hasn't moved from his nest in the blankets. He's barely even said anything too.

"You can't sulk all day." The assassin tells him, an exasperated tone in his voice. There's a quiet groan from inside the pile of blankets, finally a shuffling. Jungkook throws his doona off his face, frowning at his guard.

"I'm not sulking." This obvious lie almost makes the older smirk, and the corner tugs upwards ever so slightly. Since Hoseok left with the rest of the troop, the raven had barely left the bedroom. Namjoon had visited once, but even he was too concerned about his husband to properly comfort his chick; he left that to Yoongi, the guy who can barely comfort himself.

"Get up," Yoongi is ordering the king now, which is something he never thought he'd do. However the king doesn't care, he just grumbles like the teen he is. The guard stands up and walks over to the bed, "Lying in bed isn't helping Hoseok. He told you to not let this place get boring, remember?" Jungkook nods, dark hair shifting across his white sheets. "Well right now, you're pretty boring. Come on, get up."

"But what am I supposed to do?" The younger whines, though he finally rises from the bed. He's still in his pyjamas—an oversized white shirt that stops part way down his thighs and a pair of shorts that end only a few inches after the shirt. With bunched fists, the king rubs his eyes sleepily.

"How about we train?" Yoongi suggests, brain ticking slowly away. If the king agrees, this could also be a good way to gauge the younger's abilities. "You're no help to Hoseok if you can't protect yourself?"

"You'll help me get stronger?" Jungkook asks, sounding rather hopeful. Yoongi shrugs.

"I can't protect you all the time. If you can't already, I'll teach you how to." Now, Yoongi smiles. "But get dressed first; I'm not fighting you in your pyjamas."

The pair are clad in protective gear, wielding training swords, yet they both face each other as though this is a serious duel. Jungkook, despite his strong desire to learn from the older, clearly already has some experience under his belt. This is evident from how easily he falls into one of the beginning stances, sword ready. Yoongi stands casually, watching the male.

Then, with no warning, he strikes. He almost takes the brunette off guard—he would have taken a less experienced fighter off guard—but Jungkook deflects the blow at the last minute. When the king tries to parry, Yoongi pushes himself backwards with his powers.

The raven groans, "You didn't say we were using magic."

"What sort of fighter tells his opponent what he'll be doing?" Yoongi retorts as he attacks again. With his wind behind him, he's fighting faster than average—but still holding back, not wanting to reveal everything just yet. Yet Jungkook still keeps up, just, suggesting that he's practiced more than he lets on. Still, Yoongi can sense he's holding back; he can feel it in the fighting.

The magpie gets a hit in Jungkook's arm, watching as the younger hisses at the sudden impact. A part of him worries he should be holding back, letting the king win, but that wouldn't be doing him any favours. Besides, Jungkook soon gets him back with a light thwack in the side. When the practise sword glances off the assassin's side, a grin spreads across the raven's lips. He chuckles at Yoongi, quickly getting another hit in.

"I think I'm winning." Jungkook claims, as he dodges an attack, jumping to the side.

"You sure about that?" The magpie hits Jungkook, a competitiveness rising in both of them. Despite the pain of the blow, the younger still laughs. Neither seem to be trying very hard—playing, rather than training. Any rules that might have been in place have soon been forgotten, both playing as they see fit.

Jungkook's laugh, which grows louder and stronger whenever Yoongi misses or is hit himself, possesses a gleeful quality that tells the older he has forgotten about Hoseok. There's a sparkle in his eyes, though that might be the light catching on the tears of laughter in his eyes. He seems to be genuinely enjoying himself, which makes the older happy.

In one move of foul play, the king sticks his foot out and wraps it around Yoongi's ankle. This causes the older to lose balance, falling backwards—to ensure he isn't the only one disadvantaged by this, he grabs onto Jungkook and brings him down with him. Had he not grabbed the king, he might have been able to regain his balance, but instead he chooses to fall into the tangled heap instead. They both land in an 'oof', air being blown out of both of them, before a loud burst of laughter fills the air again.

Yoongi sprawled on the ground, hand still gripping the front of the king's shirt; Jungkook is on top of him, barely trying to get off or reduce the weight being placed on the older. As they're lying there, both amused at the outcome of this fight, it becomes obvious to Yoongi that right now would be the perfect time to try and kill Jungkook—his cover would be blown, but the king is completely vulnerable to him. However, it becomes even more obvious—almost worryingly so—that the thought of killing Jungkook is far from his mind. In fact, the assassin is more aware of how easy it would be to kiss the king, rather than kill. And Jungkook must realise that too, as his gaze drops lower.

This sudden weakness scares Yoongi and he gently rolls them over so he can get up, holding a hand out to help the king, before things get any worse. He gives the younger male a small smile, trying not to kill the mood completely. But now, all he can think about is how bad is fondness for Jungkook had gotten. He was going soft; this needs to be stopped.

What neither male noticed—too distracted by each other—is that as they share this moment, a small clay creature peers into the room with its lifeless eyes.

NOTE: you know that scene in Suddenly 30 where the chic & the guy end up rolling on top of each other?

Can you tell I'm a sucker for that scene?