Chapter 1 (Sacrifice Arcadia Bay Ending)

I opened my eyes, only to see the faint glow of the moon through my window. Seattle was always so beautiful at night. I felt Chloe's breath on my neck. She was still sleeping. I got up and left the room. I needed to calm down and wrap my brain around what's going on. I walked down stairs to the kitchen and saw my dad in the living room. He must've fallen asleep watching the news again. I almost forgot he did that. I walked into the kitchen and looked for a cup. I needed some water for my parched throat and hopefully it will help me relax. I reached for a glass and it slipped from my grasp, breaking on the floor. It must've woken up my dad because he got up from his chair and started to turn my direction. I didn't want to bother him so I held out my hand and began to concentrate. Nothing happened. Was my rewind actually gone? I tried again, but I had no luck.

"Max, what are you doing?" He still sounded tired.

"I was just getting water, but I accidently dropped a cup" I headed for the broom.

"It's okay. Why don't you go back upstairs I'll take care of it." I gave him the broom and I went back upstairs. I saw Chloe sitting on the edge of her bed, playing around with her phone. She was looking at pictures of her mom. I crawled onto the bed and hugged her from behind.

"Will I... will we... be okay, Max?"

"We will be. We're together. That's all that matters okay?"

"Okay." She wiped her eyes.

"Chloe, I was just downstairs and I dropped a cup on the floor."

"Are you trying to imply that your clumsy as fuck?" She tried to smile, "I already know this, Max." She didn't sound in the mood, but I'd rather tell her sooner than later that I can't use my power.

"This isn't a joke, Chloe. When I tried to rewind to fix the cup, nothing happened."

"Why did you try to use your power, Max? After everything that's happened. I'm actually glad it didn't work."

"Chloe, I'm sorry but I'm also worried. What if something happened to you?"

"Let it happen."

"Look, I know things seem bad now, but they will get better."

"You say that over and over, but it's never true." She was clearly still upset about her mom. I know she really loved her, and it's terrible she has to go through this. But I've lost people, too. Warren, Kate, everyone.

"I love you, Chloe. You're not alone."

"But I am. My family is gone."

"I'm still here. You're my best friend and I'll never leave you alone, okay?"

"Okay." There was a slight pause and I wrapped my arms around her once more. I felt her tears on my left arm.

I looked at the window and saw a faint red glow. "Chloe..."

"What?" She turned towards the window and gasped. "What the fuck is going on?"

"I don't know!" I ran towards my door but the hallway has been taken over by the bright red. I stepped back but we were surrounded and there was no where to go. Before I knew it everything was red.

I opened my eyes and saw my old art classroom. "Alfred Hitchcock famously called film 'little pieces of time' but he could be talking about photography, as he likely was." Mr. Jefferson. Oh my god, what's happening? I can't go through this again! What about Chloe? I can't save her anymore because I don't have my power! I mean, I guess I could, but if I screw up it's all over. But something felt different this time. I was so distracted by what could happen to Chloe I almost didn't hear Jefferson. "Now, Max," I jumped, "since you've captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?" Before I could say anything I heard someone running down the hallway everyone turned the direction of the noise. Chloe ran into the room.

"Excuse me, I'm in the middle of teaching..."

"Don't fucking talk to me freak!" She screamed, and he backed off, "Max, come on!"

"Miss Caulfield, don't even..." before he could finish his sentence we were already out of the room. We didn't even think, but we both knew to go right to David.

+++

We waited in her room. There wasn't really anything else to do waiting for the police to arrest Jefferson. Again. "How did you know to come to the classroom?"

"I don't know." But she knew something, she just wouldn't tell me.

"Chloe, I know you. What are you hiding."

"I didn't wanna worry you, but I somehow remembered what happened before we came back here. I saw the room turn red and I was back in my truck. I knew where I was and what was happening, so I ran up to the school to get you," she lit a cigarette, "do you have any idea what's going on?"

"I wish I did. I'm just glad we don't have to go through all of this again."

"I know. Maybe we're getting a second chance."

"At what?"

"At life. Maybe not getting your powers a second time around is a good thing. We might just have to be careful." She blew smoke at my face. "Sorry... I didn't mean to blaze your face."

"It's cool." I knew she meant what she said. I know that being careful is something we have to do as well. We should just leave. What if the storm is still a possibility. What are we supposed to do if it does come back, because I no longer have the power to save anyone.