Chapter 5

Light peeked through the blinds that covered Chloe's bedroom window. I put my pajamas back on before I sat near the foot of her bed holding the fabric that we found the day before. I matched it with the flannel from Rachel that sat in Chloe's dark closet. It was the same pattern, color, and fabric. I tried to see if it was all some sort of sick prank but the original shirt had no apparent tears. My mind was and empty slate.

Chloe got up from her bed, scratching her head. She moved to the floor to sit next to me, still only in her underwear, but she acted casual. "So?"

"Nada." I rested my head on her shoulder, "I couldn't figure out why this fabric ended up in the dorms."

"I would like to think some dumbass with the same shirt tried to fuck with us, but our case seems bigger than that."

"I don't want to get rid of that possibility yet. Hopefully that's the case. To be honest, I have no other ideas of what happened that night."

"It's okay. We'll figure this out together. We're a team, remember?"

"Of course. Who needs a team when I've got the best partner ever?"

"Who needs a boyfriend when you can have girlfriend like Max Caulfield?"

Girlfriend? I didn't think she thought of me as her girlfriend. "What are you talking about. Nothing gets better than Chloe Price."

"You're cute. Never change, Max."

+++

Chloe's lips were warm and moist. They made my cheek swell with heat. It wasn't anger. It was joy. I rested my arm over her shoulder. She blasted Amanda Palmer's In My Mind as she smoked on her bed. She looked so peaceful I had to take at least one picture.

"It's only nine in the morning and you're already snapping pics?" Chloe laughed.

"I'm always taking photos. You should know that by now."

"Touche. What's the plan for today?"

"Let's take a break. My head needs a rest from this detective stuff."

"You're right. I need to stop being so hella fucking paranoid. Wanna go to the Two Whales?" She asked, finishing off her cigarette.

"I'll go to the diner any day. As long as it's with you."

"Stop being cute! You're making me blush!"

"Not my intention." There was a noise from the other side of her window. It sounded like scratching, but I wasn't sure. "Did you hear that?"

"What?" Chloe sat up.

"Outside? I heard scratching or squeaking or something." For a moment I thought I saw the silhouette of a girl, but it quickly vanished.

"You need to get high."

"No, I think I need some fresh air."

"Alright, if you say so. Let's get going. It's early we can probably still get a good seat. It gets hella packed around ten."

Chloe and I left her house to go to the diner. She acted as if everything was fine. Truth is that it's not fine. I know she's kind of rebellious but something was off. I couldn't put my finger on it.

Chloe turned the key to start her car, but something was off. "What the hell is wrong with this thing?"

"Does it need gas or something? I don't know much about cars." I explained.

"Let me check the tires." She got out of the car and almost immediately got upset. "Dammit!"

"What's wrong, Chloe?" I got out of the car, now standing at her side.

"Someone slashed the-" Her phone went off, "tires."

"Who's that?"

"Blocked number. Should I answer?"

"Maybe you should." Chloe put her phone to her ear. She hung up seconds later. "Who was it?"

"It was a machine, or some shit. They gave me coordinates. Give me that pen!" I reach inside the driver's side of the car, grabbing the pen on the dash board. "Do you have any paper?"

"Just use my hand." I held it in front of her and she quickly began to scribble down numbers and letters.

"If I go grab some spare tires from the garage, can you put those into your GPS?"

"I've got your back, Chloe." I hopped back into the car, putting the coordinates in my phone. Chloe quickly came out of the garage with tires and some tools.

As she fixed the tires, I got a text on my phone. "Chloe!" I shouted, "Come check this out!"

"What is it?"

"The person you received the coordinates from just texted me."

Chloe glanced at my screen, "'Don't show up until dark'? What the fuck it that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know but I have a bad feeling about this."

"We're still going right? I can take one of David's guns, just incase."

"I don't know, Chloe. Maybe we should tell somebody."

"No," She hesitated, "I don't want anyone else getting hurt." She went back to continue fixing the tires. I layed back in the car. What have I done? I think to myself. None of this would've have happened if it wasn't for me. I haven't had to use my power yet, but I feel like I may need to tonight.

+++

We came up to a clearing. It was empty, for the most part. Chloe's phone began to ring and I jumped. "Who is it?"

"David." She answered with slight hesitation. "What?" Her eyes widened in surprise, "What, how the fuck did that happen? No, I get it. We're kind of - uh - stuck in traffic. We'll make it home as soon as possible. Promise."

"What was that about?"

"Jefferson just escaped prison."

"Wait, what?!"

"I don't know! David called me and he wants us get back to the house. Like now."

"This is fucking ridiculous! What other problems do we have to worry about?" I'm yelling now.

"Nathan. Maybe. He went missing about the same time Jefferson escaped."

I remember the message from him. He's not dangerous. He's being manipulated. "Chloe, Nathan is not the problem. It's Jefferson."

"Do you think Jefferson got to him? Do you think he's-"

"Dead? I'd never thought I'd say this, but I hope not."

We drove back down the dark road, trying to make our way back to the main road. One of Chloe's headlights went out, so it was a little more difficult to see. Out of nowhere an animal of some sort jumped out into the road, causing Chloe to slam on her breaks. It wasn't enough, for the car hit the creature. We both leaped out of the car to see what happened and what we hit. But it wasn't an animal. It was a person. She had a tear in the back of her red, plaid shirt.

Chloe whispered, in shock, "Rachel..."