You Are Too Harsh

"It's unfair."

Somin raised her eyes. Woo-jin was leaning a hip on her table, looking disgruntled.

"What's unfair?" she murmured, returning her gaze to the documents she'd been reading.

"You hung out with Tae-hyung last night."

"Shut up, idiot," she hissed, looking around.

His face darkened. "Why are you shutting me up? Don't tell me you and Tae-hyung...?"

A flash of pain went through her chest.

Was he thinking what she never thought he'd think of her?

"...were talking shit about me?"

Relief coursed through her. Of course he'd never think that of her.

Somin stabbed his thigh with her pen and he yelped, rubbing the spot vigorously. Served him right for making her feel like crap.

"It's supposed to be a secret," she told him irritably. "He was asking me to help him surprise Jiwoo for her birthday."

An extraordinary warmth came to his face as he gazed down at her. "Oh. He should have said so."

Somin frowned at him. "What exactly did Tae-hyung tell you?"

"He only told me he was at your place last night. I don't understand why he omitted the part about asking your help," he grumbled, looking away.

She crossed her arms. "And you thought we were talking bad about you because?"

He was silent for awhile.

Then he said, "It's just that we disagreed on something about..." He returned his gaze on her and scowled. "It's because the two of you always have your secrets," he said instead in an accusing tone.

**********

Somin was staring out of the window, watching the bustling campus, when Woo-jin found her.

"Somin," she heard him call out and she stiffened.

Then forcing a smile on her face, she looked at him. "Hey, Woo-jin."

"How are you? I haven't seen you for days."

That's because she was avoiding him.

"I was busy with a lot of projects," she lied.

Woo-jin leaned against the window sill, staring at her. "I'm sorry I couldn't go to your musical," he said softly.

Somin's hands shook and she clenched them tight. "It's alright, Woo-jin. I heard you had something to do."

He frowned. "Yeah. I... I did. So do you have plans later?"

She looked at her wristwatch. "I do actually."

"That sucks. I was hoping we could hang out later. Where are you going?"

"On a date."

He looked startled. "With who?"

She looked at him. And looking at him hurt but she did it anyway. "Tae-hyung. We're going out now. Didn't he tell you?"

A myriad of expressions crossed Woo-jin's face and she might have imagined it but she thought she saw... pain.

"I see," he smiled. Then he chuckled and shook his head. "Congratulations."

"Hey, are you alright?" Somin asked, taking a step towards him. On closer inspection, Woo-jin looked like he'd barely slept and had a dark stubble on his jaw and cheeks, which was highly unusual of him. The man was always immaculate.

"I'm fine." Woo-jin waved her concerns away. "I'd been busy with my projects too. Anyway, this might be too late but here."

Woo-jin lifted her hand and placed something sparkly on it. Her gut tightened.

It was a silver bracelet. With three diamond-set flowers adorning the chain.

"I was going to give it to you before the musical started to congratulate you on your debut but..." He trailed off again, his face turning blank. "I got to go. My classes are going to start."

He was smiling at her when he patted her head. Then he walked away.

  **********  

"That moron never tells me anything," Woo-jin was saying with a scowl. "And even if he does, he always leaves the important details out. Do you remember when he didn't tell me he got sick?"

Somin leaned back and smirked. "I remember. You panicked so much. Why do you think he didn't tell you? Because he knows you'd fuss over him."

"He was sick!"

"And you know, he actually does all those things because he knows it irritates you."

Woo-jin pointed at her. "You two are bullying me."

"It's not our fault you're easy to bully."

"You should be glad that I like you," he said narrowing his eyes.

Her heart tripped and to cover it, she said, "Is that why you let me walk all over you?"

"Oh, sweetheart." He pinched her cheek and she slapped his hand away. "I'll gladly let you walk all over me anytime, any day."

And with a wink, he disappeared out of the Finance department.