The Careers

Rosalina's Point of View

When the gong sounded, I was paralyzed. I couldn't move. My feet were frozen to the platform, and my chest felt like ice. Water. Why did it have to be water? Get it together, Rosalina. You are their leader. Suck it up and dive in there. But I couldn't. The only experience I had with water was not one that I wanted to remeber.

Flashback

"Hey mom!" A nine-year-old Rosalina shouted, splashing around in the shallow lake. She has managed to scoop up a baby Cheep-Cheep, and she wanted to ask her mother if she could keep it. But her mother didn't respond. "Mommy?" She asked again. Then, she heard the scream. Her mother was flailing her arms and screaming about 20 feet from Rosalina, in the deep water where she couldn't swim. A Blooper was trying to drag her mom into the water, and she could do nothing to stop it. She watched in silence as her mother drowned, screaming her name. Rosalina had tried to help, but she was no swimmer.

Flashback Over

I'm crying, she realized. Ever since that day I promised myslef I wouldn't cry. With a scream, she dove into the water, and her powerful, musculer body shot through the water. Not even thinking about helping her allies, she grabbed the nearest weapon, and threw the axe with deadly accuracey. Goomba was dead just like that. Breathingheavily and scowling, she stood there, dripping wet in the irridesent, flesh-tight jumpsuit all of the tributes were wearing, (although Wario could NOT make it work) crying like mad. She barely even cared when she saw Daisy and crew pick up a raft and get the heck out of there.

Eventually, other tributes started comming to the Cornocopia, and wether they were friend or foe, Rosalina wasn't taking any chances. She hefted her axe on her shoulder, and turned to see Pauline.

"Hey, sweetheart, put the axe down. I'm a Career, remembah?" Pauline chided. Rosalina smiled sheepishly, and put her weapon down. "Victims approaching!" She yelled, pointing to Yoshi, Wario, and Waluigi. The treacherous gits had betrayed the Careers and went off on their own. She knew that the Wario brothers were together, and that Yoshi was on his own.

Mario was next to arrive, along with Peach. They were hauling a sinking Bowser onto the sand, while panting and sweating form the strain and the heat. Rosalina welcomed her fellow comrads, as the Career team was complete.

Rosalina, Bowser, Mario, Peach, and Pauline. They were going to be unstopable.

"Hey," Bowser snarled at Pauline. "What happened to Lover Boy, eh?" "Oh, you mean that treacherous, lying, womanizing dirtbag? Turns out, he has a freaking girlfriend! HE was taking me out to lunch, and was all, 'Sorry, babe, my GF's on the phone'." Bowser and Mario were trying not to snicker, while Peach started trying to comfort Pauline. Realizing they had scared off all of the other remaining tributes, they decided to set up camp right where they were, since about half of them couldn't even swim.

"Alright," Rosalina directed at everyone. "Peach, you're on dinner. We all know that you're an excellent cook. The whole Cornocopia is stuffed with real food. We're the Careers- we don't hunt!" The blonde smiled and went to go organize what she called, "the pantry.'

"Bowser," Rosalina intoned, as if reading from a clipboard. "You're on weapon inventory. Count up what we have, and sort them into 5 different piles, as varied as possible, even though we all know what we're good at." Bowser nodded, and strode off.

"Pauline, you're on the sleeping situation. The Cornocopia is gigantic- why don't we use that as a sort of home? Set up the sleeping bags in there, and put a blanket or something to cover up the opening at the entrance."

"And finally, Mario. Please set up and assemble all of the first aid and medical supplies. This is extremely important, as we never know what could happen. and don't lose anything!"

After everyone worked for a good hour on their task, Peach called them for dinner. SHe had set up a huge fire pit to cook over, and had positioned the largest rocks she could find as chairs. Their whole situation was actually quite cozy. Peah had made a roasted chicken with potatoes and greens, and there was enough for everyone to have as many helpings as they wanted, which was smart, as Bowser ate more than a Yoshi, and Yoshis are like bottomless pits.

Eventually, everyone got tired, so they headed in for the night. Bowser was wide awake, so he volenteered to take first watch, while everyone else tried to get some sleep. Yes, they were quite well off, but they weren't idiots. They would always have someone on guard, incase someone who was not invited decided to make an entrance.

Rosalina staggered to her sleeping bad, and pulled the cpvers up tight to her chin. It was starting to rapidlydecrease in temperature, and she knew that she wold need every last ounce of body heat she had just to make it throught he night. Thankfully, Peach pulled and extra blanket on top of everyone, and also gave them a warm cup of tea to help them sleep. Peach was sort of like an adoptive mom for the time being, and she took it upon herslef to act like one. Rosalina thanked her quietly, and sipped her warm tea, watching her firneds fall asleep. When she had drained her glass, she put it on the floor, and decided to try to get some sleep.

Just as she was about to drift off, the Anthem began to play, and Goomba's picture was displayed for all of the remaining tributes ot see. This really wasn't a surprise to anyone- he had only scored a 5 in training, and he never really talked to anyone or had any special skills. Rosalina felt the slightest bit guilty for killing him just to take out her anger, but she knew that by the end of the Games, everyone would be killed.

Except for her.

AN: Hey guys!! Sorry this chapter is a little late- I promise I haven't forgotton!! So yeah, this was Rosalina's chapter, and I apologize for skipping through first and thrid perosn point of view!! We actually hit 100 reads on this sotry, which is insanly cool!!!!! You guys are the best, and we wouldn't have hit that goal if you all weren't so amazing and lovely!! That's it for now, so I'll see you next week for a new chapter, unless I'm feeling particularly inspired!! ;) Thanks again!! Xx, Daisy