9. Proven

Mathias honestly didn't expect (F/N) to start being nice to him, and once she'd gotten more rest and woken up again in a better state, she was back to scowling and snarky comments. Not that he could blame her for it, but he was surprised she was still acting so strong after everything that's had happened to her. Most would be emotionally hollow, or so traumatised they didn't want to go back outside, but (F/N) was incredibly different.

The instant she felt well enough she tried to walk, but both her legs were injured and she certainly wasn't happy when she was told she'd have to pushed around in a wheelchair for a few weeks. She was stubborn, and as much as Mathias tried to convince her it was far better to just give up and let him help her, she was hearing none of it; she was just as stubborn as she was when she was a kid, not telling anyone what was wrong. She must have felt overwhelmed, especially when the police came to talk to her about her parents, but still she said nothing about how she must have felt.

Mathias's parents fussed over her a lot when they arrived at his house, and tended to her every need, despite her protests. She acted friendly enough at dinner when the family would eat together, but things were still quite cold between her and Mathias. As much conversation as the Dane tried to make, she didn't see, to want to talk. He had to help her around a lot, so it made things slightly awkward for the first time in their long friendship.

Finally came the day that (F/N) could return to school, and the majority of the walk to school had been silent, but Mathias at least wanted to try talking to her.

"Hey, (F/N), now that you're back at school, we can get up to mischief, right?" He said, looking down at her for some kind of reply, but receiving none. He continued. "Remember when we tricked that substitute teacher into thinking he'd gotten the wrong class, and he ended up spending half the lesson wandering around the school?" It elicited no laughter from the (H/C) haired girl, but Mathias was about as stubborn as her when it came to giving up. "I bet we can trick our teacher into letting us leave class early if we tell him the doctor told us so," he laughed to himself, but sighed slightly when (F/N) still said nothing. He wheeled her through the corridor with a lot of odd glances from the students within in, but it didn't bother him.

"Matty!" Mathias flinched. He was hoping that he would have to run into his ex-girlfriend, but of course she was going to make things difficult. As she approached, she smiled at him, and grimaced when she saw (F/N). "And you," she spat, while (F/N) simply glared at her. "I wanted to talk to Matt alone."

"Oh yes, don't mind me, I'll just hop out of my wheelchair with my broken legs," (F/N) scowled, folding her arms.

"Just wheel her over to class and then come to talk to me, Matt, I'm sure she'll be fine!" The girl in front of them urged, and (F/N) turned her head to the side, half-expecting Mathias to do as she said. However, that didn't happen.

"You really think I'd just leave her alone to talk to you?" Mathias smiled at the girl with fake innocence, who was looking at him as if he'd grown two more heads. "And why would I bother talking to you anyway, I told you we're through." Now the girl was shaking, with either grief at being dumped or rage from the way she was glaring at (F/N). (F/N) looked just as surprised, briefly looking up at Mathias before looking back down the floor. She hadn't known he'd broken up with her, and it made her feel the slightest bit happy.

"W-Why would you want to break up w-with me?!" The girl shrieked shrilly, and Mathias gave her a proud kind of grin.

"I realised I don't like you, and I don't think I ever really did." Presented with an opportunity, he decided to take it. He placed his hands on (F/N)'s shoulder boldly, and the she jittered in surprise. "(F/N)'s the one I really like, sorry 'bout that." He admitted it so casually, and now he had two shocked faces looking at him. He had no clue how (F/N) was going to react, and he dearly hoped he wouldn't be rejected, but hopefully this would prove to her his ex-girlfriend was gone for good.

The girl in question was stuttering, and her face was bright red while tears spilt over her eyelids. She was about to explode.

"You massive jerk!!" She screamed, sobbing and running of down the hallway while other students stared at the scene unfolding itself in front of them.

"Oops, I think I upset her," Mathias smirked amusedly, but (F/N) didn't share the same look. Instead when he looked down at her, he saw she was looking back up at him in surprise. But when they met eyes, she looked away, blushing and gluing her eyes to the ground once again. Of course, Mathias had just confessed that he liked her, but did her reaction mean she liked him or not? He cleared his throat awkwardly. "A-Anyway, let's get to class."

---

Eventually the salt will leave, I swear. And I will try to have a more organised schedule, but I'm a little too busy to do that now ; w ; Maybe next millennium!
Thank you for reading!