Chapter Twenty One

Tom knew he couldn't really trust that Watson's friends would let him near her petrified body, at least not alone. They never looked happy to see him there. He knew that they suspected that it was him who did it, and yes he did do it. But they had nothing to tie him to it.

Tom watched Watson's face. It never moved, but Watson didn't appear to be as annoyed as she had when he had first seen her. He didn't know how that was possible but trust Watson to do it. Tom even thought that someone like Watson could change the mind of Salazar Slytherin. She had somehow changed his. This muggleborn girl, opinionated, powerful and studious. She was a witch and nobody could tell her or him otherwise, so help them if they told him.

But she had to be first. She knew everything and she would say it if she needed to. She hadn't said anything but she was always before him before he could see the Chamber of Secrets until Halloween night where she was distracted. Somehow she had known before him and always knew when he was going. So as much as it displeased Tom, Kelli Watson had to be the first. He had wanted to kill her but she had somehow gotten away with not dying with water.

He supposed it was for the best that he didn't kill her.

Tom pulled his hand away from her when he realised that he was drawing circles on the back of her hand, lost in thought. He didn't dare look at Watson's friends.

Tom knew he needed to seem upset by her loss of presence; strangely he felt he was upset by her loss of presence. So he'd spend every free moment he had at her side, finding someone to frame for her petrification. When she eventually awoke, she wouldn't be able to say anything because how ungrateful would that seem?

Oh, Watson would hate him, but she already did and he knew that Watson was attracted to him and she couldn't explain to herself why. She knew exactly the type of monster he was and he knew that she knew.

"Why are you here?" Mason asked him.

He looked up at Watson's red-haired friend. "She was a friend."

"You're a sociopath," she told him bluntly.

His eyebrows creased together. "Excuse me?"

"You're here in a totally self-serving manner," she spat at him.

"What has Watson said about me?" he asked her, getting to his feet. "That I am conceived under a love potion? Yes, I am. You may believe that I do not love Watson, believe what you will, but even I can't deny I care for her." He didn't even lie.

"You and I both know that when Kelli wakes that she will blame you for this. For her sake, you have to step back."

"I will not and I am sure that she will hate me for it, but I had nothing to do with this," he spat out at her, lying through his teeth.

"You know she will hate you for it and I know that she'll hate herself more for loving you all the same," Abbott spoke up softly.

He was taken aback. "Watson does not love me. She rejected me."

Mason looked at Abbott as if realising something, and said, "I think she might wake up and strangle Riddle for making her unprepared for OWLs."

He supposed she had told him the stupid reason he had given her, although to them it just appeared they thought it one of her quirks.

Abbott laughed, a loud laugh that could have bothered the castle. "Maybe we should let him stay for that reason. Not even love is stronger than her devotion to studying."

Mason grinned, already forgetting about Tom. Tom felt annoyed and at a loss. He understood why Watson liked them - and he knew he wouldn't have the patience for them. But saying Watson was in love with him? That was unlikely. Attracted was much more likely.

But these were her friends and friends she shared her thoughts and feelings with.

__

Kelli's counselling sessions had her speaking about nothing. She didn't want to speak to the counsellor because the counsellor really wanted to understand Kelli but couldn't understand Kelli. So Kelli spoke about her friends and how much she missed Elizabeth and Lauren, only speaking about their muggle adventures because that was the only thing Kelli could say.

The counsellor never understood why Tom and she shared a room, it never made sense to her because why would a matron who prides herself on living like a 1920s matron let that happen? Honestly, Kelli just told her to accept it. Maybe the matron wanted babies who the shit knew.

Olivia, the kind officer, spent some time with Kelli. Kelli really wanted to be left alone to read Harry Potter. But she hadn't much time between Olivia, the counsellor and her parents. Kelli really tried to divide her time but struggled to do it. Olivia wanted to bust the orphanage, shut it down but Kelli couldn't tell her it was possible and ever just said, 'countryside, I think. I didn't come back on my own and I never knew where it was'.

She could tell it was frustrating to Olivia even if Olivia was always pleasant.

Her counsellor just thought she had Stockholm - honestly could be an option but whatever. She may have been a good counsellor but for anything to happen Kelli knew she had to talk. Unfortunately, Kelli spoke only very highly and felt very awkward for everyone's sake for doing so.

And her parents, the only time they ever lost sight of Kelli was when she was with Olivia or with Sophie the counsellor. Kelli was damn sure that when she was asleep would be the only time they never stopped watching. But Kelli was patient with them because it had affected them much much more than it affected her. After soon enough time, her parents had to go back to work and so ensued the phone calls and constant texts that Kelli had no problem replying to. But at least Kelli could read now.