Chapter Twenty Five

A month away from OWLs and Kelli could finally concentrate on other things. And for the month, she was going to concentrate on her OWLs. She wasn't sure if Elizabeth or Lauren had noticed anything was wrong, at least for a little while, but thinking back, Kelli remembered random plates of food around her bed, cups of butterbeer, sweets and other things. So that thought perished pretty soon. They weren't confrontational people in sensitive topics unless they were mad at the other so they'd just do things like that.

The realisation had almost made Kelli cry about how beautiful her friends were both inside and out.

Almost. But Kelli had too much pride to start crying in public.

OWLs came and passed in a whirlwind for Kelli, but she felt she did quite well nonetheless. She could now read about other things, spend more time with her friends, at least until the school year ended soon. Then she was back to the orphanage. It wasn't easy to forget that Warren had died or that she felt like that was the last time she'd see her parents again, but it was easier to deal with it.

A few days after OWLs, Professor Dippet stood and made an announcement at dinner. The hall fell quiet for the announcement.

"Good evening, everyone," he greeted. "As you all know, it's been a hard year for everyone, some more than others, I know. And we have Mr. Riddle to thank for that-" he broke off as all Four Houses broke off into applause, but most loudly from Slytherin. Kelli clapped but it wasn't enthusiastic as their other Hufflepuff peers. Soon the applause quieted. "A wonderful choice for a prefect indeed. Another great choice as prefect was Miss Watson."

Oh Hell.

"Before she was petrified, Miss Watson has had some the best grades Hogwarts has ever known."

Please stop. Kelli started to slowly sink under the table, many eyes turning to her and a lot to Ravenclaw to find the giant nerd. There was a moment of offence - just because she was smart didn't mean that was her only personality trait.

"I've been told by many Professors and many students that she had been helping other students with their grades. In fact, this year's exams have been some of the highest we have achieved in over a century."

Somebody just kill me. Like right now.

Dippet continued, "And Riddle told me how he had figured out who and how the students were being petrified."

Kelli turned her head to the Slytherin table, spotting the dark eyes and staring back at him. She felt cold.

"He remembered a passing comment about Hagrid-"

Kelli didn't flinch.

"-that she had told him that he had a large spider."

His lips turned upwards. She had never told him this.

"We believe that's why she was targeted first."

Kelli felt sick. He was making her apart of his false narrative. She quickly turned out of her seat and started to leave, but not without hearing Dippet call her modest. The only thing that was going to make him worth being a Headmaster is that he's going to reject his favourite, Tom, from being a Professor. She stepped through the doors and went to a bathroom.

Turned out to be a boys bathroom but it was closer. And she threw up.

Kelli felt like she wanted him to pay for that, but she wasn't petty enough. No, she'd have to cut him from her life. Just stop. Well, she'd just have to continue with modest, shy and being embarrassed.

She shook her head and wiped her face, unlocking the door and going out to wash her face.

"Even if it were in the men's bathroom, it looks like it wouldn't have stopped you," Riddle said to her.