Ch.2

– Monica –

I laid in my bed the next morning, staring out the window. I was in trouble, and didn't know what to do about it. I tried to convince myself that last night had not happened. But then my phone that was on the night stand next to the bed rang. Frowning I picked it up not recognizing the number. At first, I thought that it was one of my kids from the center.

"Hello." I gently rubbed my finger across the small cut on my lip that had gone down significantly since last night.

"How did you sleep?" That deep voice almost made me drop the phone.

Dang it!

How did he even get my number?

"Like a baby," I lied. He chuckled.

"I'm glad to hear that."

"Why are you calling me?" I wasn't even going to pretend to be cordial with him.

"I just wanted to let you know that today I will be getting my own breakfast, but I am going to need lunch. You can bring it by the shop." I sucked on my teeth.

"I told you I have responsibilities, and I don't have time to play the role of yo mama. Get your own lunch!" I hung up the phone before putting my hand on my chest. It felt as if my heart was trying to run away from my body.

What had I just done?

Yeah, I guess I told him. I was a real tough guy... on the phone. I laughed at myself.

My phone rang again. Staring at it, I warred with myself. I could just ignore him. Eventually, he'll have to stop calling, right? Or I could block his number. Yeah, I'll do that! I picked up my phone.

What are you doing?

That was the dumbest idea. What if he came over here? What if he saw Eve? What if he hurt Nana? I answered the phone.

"Hello," My voice was kinder. Fake, but kinder.

"Did you just hang up on me?"

I shook my head as if he could see me.

"No, man. My phone lost the signal. Don't be paranoid." If it killed me, I had to try to stay on his good side until I found a way to get rid of him. My mind raced for a solution to this problem. He chuckled.

"Monica, Monica, Monica. I see you're going to be a handful," he exhaled.

"Yeah. So, maybe you should rethink this irrational idea you have of, of..." I couldn't even say the words out loud.

"Of what?" he asked.

Mmm! His deep voice was wreaking havoc on me. It reminded me of...

Focus, Mon! You were talking your way out of this, remember?

"You know what I mean. I don't have to say it!" I was so glad he couldn't see me blushing.

"Come on, Monica. You're a big girl. Say it."

He was enjoying the fact that he was making me uncomfortable.

"Umm... No, I won't say it! BUT, going back to what you said about me being a handful; you're right. My Nana tells me that all the time. And I'm way younger than you. What are you? Like 40, 45?" I smiled.