chp.6

-Monica-

"Why are the two of you standing there grinning like this is a happy occasion?" I snapped at Keturah and Shante who stood by the bar, before I leaned over and asked the bartender for a bottle of water. I was finally able to break away from Kaleb's mom who had dragged Eve and I around to introduce us to all of their friends and relatives.

The whole time Kaleb was angry with her because it was suppose to have been a small dinner reception with a few family members and friends but Mama Rita said she never did anything small. She had managed to get most of their family and friends to attend tonight's event although it was on such short notice.

Kaleb had to rescue Eve from her because even after I had managed to break away to talk to Stormy and Shelomoh, she still carried Eve around so that folks could pinch on her cheeks and gush over her. Kaleb had taken the poor child out of his mother's arms and Eve had almost instantly gone to sleep on his shoulder. He now stood by the window holding our slumbering child as he talked with Shelomoh. I couldn't believe they knew each other. How in the world had that happened?

"We thought you was happy, hell, you were doing all that smiling with his mama. Coming up in here blinging with so much ice, made me cold." Shante said gesturing towards my bracelets.

"What!" I looked at her as if she had gone dumb on me. "Maybe I'm mistaking, but didn't ya'll just get kidnapped?" Keturah waved her hand.

"Yea, but the fella's was real cool. After they put us in the car they let us know that we weren't their prisoners and was free to go. They said they would drop us off wherever we liked." She chuckled. "They even asked if we would prefer to have dinner at Mama Rita's with you guys to celebrate your nuptials." Shante interrupted her.

"And I was like brother you ain't even got to ask! I'll take a free Mama Rita's Steak any day!" She did a little dance on her stool as she sipped on her fruity cocktail. I stared at the both of them with my mouth open.

"Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You heffa's lives wasn't in danger?" They shook their heads. Keturah wore a sympathetic look but that damn Shante wore a smirk that made me want to slap her.

"Son of a—"I turned to look at Kaleb so mad and frustrated I could have cried. The bastard had the nerve to wink at me from where he still stood talking to Shelomoh.

"You've got to admit though, he is fine." Shante whispered leaning in close to me. Hmmm! She spoke the truth. No one wore black like this man or a suit for that matter. He had taken off his tie when we got in the truck after leaving the court house. So now he stood there with a couple buttons undone on his shirt; Exposing his strong neck and Adams Apple that moved up and down as he talked. "I don't give a damn how fine he is! The bastard tricked me!"

"Gurl, you tripping... He could trick me any day if he gone deck me out with them kind of jewels." Shante laughed. Keturah sucked on her teeth and rolled her eyes at her.

"What's wrong with you? Monica ain't no gold digger, like your trifling self."

"Why I got to be a gold digger just cause I can apricate a man that can take care of me. I keep telling you, everybody dream ain't to marry some African tree climber and live happily ever after in the bush eating bush berries."

"That's a shame you talk about your own people like that." Keturah snapped putting her hand on her hip.

"And I keep telling you them damn African's ain't my people! Just cause they black don't make us kin."

Keturah rolled her eyes again at Shante and then turned away from her to fully face me.

"You know if you don't want to be married to him you can always get your marriage annulled." I frowned at her.