chp.5

-Monica-

Kaleb left out the house early the next morning. I threw back the covers and shot out the bed. He told me last night he would be back to get Eve and I at two. This meant we had to be gone before he got back. Quickly I hopped in the shower, my mind raced. There was a part of me that said I was indeed very foolish and selfish for what I was getting ready to do. What if Eve needed her father to be in her life? What if having married parents would make her life just a little bit easier?

But how can I marry a dangerous man like that? A man I would always be frightened of. A man that could kill and not lose any sleep. I wanted a husband that made me feel safe, not one that made me feel afraid. I wanted a husband I could learn from, one who could build our home. Not one whose action could tear it down. I believed that man was out there somewhere waiting for me. However, that man was not Kaleb and marrying him would be the biggest mistake I would have ever made in my life.

As I got out the shower and dried myself off I was convinced I was making the right decision. I stood in the mirror and moisturized my body. Sure, I could be making a very dangerous decision but he said he wouldn't hurt me; but can you really believe what a mobster say? No! However, he couldn't hurt me if he couldn't find me. And because I knew myself very well, I needed a distraction or else I was going to be worrying like crazy.

And there was no better distraction than Shante and Keturah.

I opened the door to my closet. Okay, what to wear? Keturah was a pan-African, dead set on revolution. Shante was a straight up ghetto boo and the only revolution she was prepared to fight, was the one against the neighborhood Beauty Supply store for price gouging with the human hair.

Two weeks ago I had to pull her out the store. I thought she was going to hurt that little Chinese man. She was ready to send it up. They had raised the price a whole seventy-five cents a bag and she was ready to throw down.

Anyway, Shante and Keturah did not get along. So, unless I needed to be distracted like I needed to be today, I never tried to hang out with them both at the same time. Keturah said Shante was the problem with the black community. Ghetto and trifling she called her. Shante said Keturah need to stop trying to get everyone to go back to hot a$$ Africa.

I tapped my lips with my finger. Whenever I hung out with them both I had to be careful in what I wore. So, I had to dress in a way they both could relate to, or else they would instantly assume I was taking the other's side. Today, I would rock, ghetto boo afro-centric gal.

Yea!

I took down my African print wrap skirt I got from Madison and Pulaski. I was going to shake it up by rocking my white off the shoulder Gucci blouse. Another awesome find I got from Madison and Pulaski. It was ten dollars. Now granted the tag on the shirt said Toms made in China, which was probably why it only cost ten dollars but I don't care. The tag on the outside said Gucci and that was good enough for me.

Now, to accessorize. I piled my locs up on top of my head into a messy bun, letting a few of them spill out. I added a couple pieces of loc jewelry to my hair and my big gold like hoops for my ears. I think I would go without a necklace and let my off the shoulder shirt do its thing. I put on my Gold like bangles, a little lip gloss on my lips and then my Adidas. Then headed into Eve's room to get her ready and pack her diaper bag.

She sat up in her crib blinking at me. Not used to me waking her up.

"Yea, surprised you didn't I." I asked as I scooped her up out the bed. Today she could wear one of her new outfits I got her yesterday, with her little Adidas.