Part 2

Nighttime comes faster than Steve wants it to. Joyce comes to put all the kids to bed after having been in her room all afternoon "resting". Steve didn't believe her for a moment. It's great that they're having fun and all, but he really doesn't want to be the only one keeping an eye on all six kids who have a history of getting themselves into sticky situations. Steve still shudders at the memory of Dustin's "pet".

As Steve goes down the hall to his room, he passes Nancy on the way. He can't quite read the look she gives him, but he figures it's probably something along the lines of hatred and disgust. 'She can go suck a dick,' he thinks to himself, 'but she'd probably enjoy it too much'.

When he enters the room, Jonathan glances up at him. Steve quickly looks away and goes into the bathroom the change into his pajamas, a pair of boxer shorts and a t shirt.

○○○○○

Jonathan chastises himself as he realizes he's been staring at Steve for far too long. He tears his eyes away and fumbles with the camera that Nancy had given him last Christmas after Steve had broken his old one.

He plays with the focus knob on the camera, twisting it back and forth and back and forth, trying to focus on anything other than Steve Harrington.

"Would you stop doing that?" Steve snaps, not having been able to stand the noise the camera was making any longer.

"Oh, uh, sorry." Jonathan sets the camera down on his side of the nightstand. He knew it was late, but he couldn't bring himself to be tires. Not with his mind racing like this. He was hyper aware of Steve's movements throughout the room. Eventually he settles into bed with a book.

"What book is that?" Jonathan asks, praying to whatever god there is that his voice wasn't shaky.

"What's it to you?" Steve responds harshly. It kind of shook Jonathan a bit, and he sat there on his bed feeling slightly stunned.

"I... okay." He sighs and lies down under the covers, turning away from him. 'Guess I'll try to fall asleep; I don't know how long this is going to take,' he thinks.

○○○○○

Steve feels bad for snapping at him, but at the same time he doesn't. Jonathan should know how he felt about him. He wasn't going to make friends, or even be friendly, with him just because they had to sleep in the same room for a week.

The next morning, Steve gets dressed and gets out of the room as quickly as he can. Now it was time for Jonathan to stare at Steve, for a change. Steve could feel the hazel pair of eyes on him, following his every move. He pretends not to notice.

Later in the day, Hopper decides to take everyone out into the city. Keeping an especially watchful eye on Elle, he and Joyce lead everyone around to different tourist-attracting locations while the three teenagers trail behind. Steve, walking behind the couple, tries his best to ignore their intertwined hands that swing back and forth as they walk.

Steve was seething. It's disgusting, despicable. How dare they do that right in front of him? He tries to remind himself that all they were doing was holding hands, and they're not doing anything extreme, but the thought of them doing anything more just pisses him off even more.

○○○○○

"Jonathan, make him stop," Nancy urges. She glances behind them only to glare at her ex boyfriend, silently telling him to fuck off.

"I'll talk to him tonight," Jonathan assures, not entirely sure if he really will or not. He just wants Nancy to relax. This was a vacation, after all.

"You better. You've beat his ass once already; you can do it again." There was a tone in her voice that Jonathan didn't quite recognize.

"Of course," he mumbles.

Throughout the day, Jonathan almost forgets about Steve entirely. Almost. He wishes he could just have the confidence to tell him to fuck off, or at least to tell him to stop being a dick, but so far he's had no luck.

○○○○○

Steve is dreading that night, and stays quiet the entire time. He can feel Jonathon watching him, making his skin tingle like ants are crawling all over him.

"Would you stop looking at me?" Steve finally snaps.

"Would you stop looking at me and Nancy?" Jonathan retorts.

It's silent after that.

The third day passes much like the other two, but Steve has had enough by this point. He's grouchy and irritated, snapping at everyone.

"If you don't knock it off, you can spend the rest of the day in your damn room," Hopper threatens him, having gotten sick and tired of the boy's attitude.

"You're not my fucking dad." Steve glares at the Chief Sheriff.

Jonathan observes this with watchful eyes. He too had picked up on Steve's increased level of irritability today.

Steve stomps off, shoving past Jonathan forcefully, almost pushing him over. He doesn't care right now; he doesn't care about anything.

"Steve, wait!" Jonathan calls after him.

"Leave me alone, Byers," Steve spits out before going outside for a cigarette. He leans against the brick wall of the alleyway, inhaling the hot smoke deeply and closing his eyes.

"That's bad for you, you know," a voice says, causing Steve to jump and open his eyes. He looks to see Joyce standing in front of him.

"Touché" He gives the cigarette in her hand a pointed look.

"You're younger than I am; you still have time to quit. You still have your entire life left," she sighs. It's quiet for a bit after that. "So what's been up with you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You've been pissy ever since we left Hawkins."

"I have not," he says defensively.

"Oh yes you have," Joyce laughs. "You've been glaring at Jonathan and Nancy like they've killed your entire family. You don't still have feelings for her, do you?"

"Hell no! She's a fucking bitch." He clenches his fist unconsciously.

"Because she left you for Jonathan or because she took Jonathan away from you?"

"Huh?"

"You hate her for dating Jonathan. Are you sure you're not jealous?"

Joyce looks at Steve knowingly. She's been keeping an eye on them, and it hasn't gone unnoticed how he watches them constantly. Not always hatefully, but sometimes with eyes full of envy. At first Joyce had thought that he wanted Nancy back, but he has made it clear that that's not the case. He was jealous. Not of Jonathan, but of Nancy.

"What? That's absurd!" Steve exclaims. He huffs and tosses his cigarette to the ground, stamping it out before going back inside.