The Restaurant

I hold her hand as we walk into the front of the diner. Before the door opened, I reached up and pushed her hair away from her shoulder, showing where one of the straps of her cropped blouse had fallen off. I shifted it back up her smooth, dark skin and then kissed her shoulder delicately.

            “Stay modest, love.” I say jokingly, and she grins.

            The restaurant is air-conditioned and completely different from the desert air that’s outside. We find ourselves a booth hidden to the side, and I offer her one seat but then she turns to me and says, “Order for me?” She nods towards the other end of the building, down where the restrooms are. I comply by giving her a slow blink and a small nod, and then as she leaves I slide myself into a booth on my own.

            I get us both coffee and a breakfast meal for the both of us. A bit of time had passed as I wait for her to resurface. I’m pretty sure she’s doing more than just using the bathroom and washing her hands, there’s probably a bit of drug-ingesting involved. I’m not sure what would take as long as this is.

            When she comes back out, she looks like she’s dabbing at her nose like it irritated her, and the side of her blouse that I had fixed previously had slid down, off her shoulder again. She smiles when we make eye contact, and then she slides into the booth with me. “Sorry,” She mumbles, biting her lip.

            I’m about to tell her that it’s okay, it wasn’t like I was counting the minutes that went by while she was gone. She slithers a napkin towards me, her face still cunning and the skin of her pink lips still locked underneath her teeth.

            I take it, giving her a quick eye. Her expression doesn’t change, and I open it up.

            “You look so cool.”