The Bedroom

She waited behind me, as I stared mindlessly out the window, the blaring sun of midmorning looking me straight in the face. I woke and lit up immediately, and after she felt me rustling around, she got up too. She waited as I finished my spliff, which I took my time breathing out the smoke through my mouth and then up through my nose again. It stings the inside of my nostrils.

            By the time I’m finished watching the sun cross by the window, she’s been long done with her tea that sat on the nightstand next to our bed. I turn around and look at her.

            “I want you to teach me.” She says quietly. I smile, getting up from the bed and she replaces my spot. I get my guitar that’s sitting up against the wall, and then waltz back over to her, placing it in her lap. She holds it, and I climb between her and the window, and sit myself down so that my legs are on either sides of her hips.

            She holds the guitar like I showed her once before, putting her hands where they needed to be. I pull her back closer into my chest so I can see where she has her fingers, to make sure she’s playing the right chord and strumming it the way I’ve been trying to teach her.

            She gives it a try, an ugly sounding chord coming from the guitar and we both chuckle to ourselves at the noise. I rearrange the position of her fingers a bit and make sure the instrument is still in tune before I tell her to try again. This time it comes out better, the sound fits together incredibly better than it had before. She looks at me with a bright smile, her teeth flashing at me with excitement, and I nod for her to keep going.

            She moves her wrist up and down, just like she’s seen me do a million times while the lads and I were all practicing together. She keeps the even tone of playing, and I try and move her fingers fast enough to adjust the chords to put together some sort of song. I make up a pattern for her, and she starts to hum it. I can feel the vibration of her small voice in my ear, since my head was nestled in the crook of her neck.

            “Sound good?” She asks me.

            “Very good.” I tell her.

            She flashes a grin again.

            She gets up from her spot in my arms and puts my guitar back into its normal resting place.

            “No more?” I ask. She shakes her head wordlessly. She crawls back onto the bed, and I turn to face her. She’s on her knees, staring into my eyes. She reaches forwards and grabs my face, holding onto my cheeks in the palms of her hands.

            We kiss intensely, our chests pressed together, and my hands going anywhere I could get them too. It wasn’t long until my fingers traced across the hem of her t-shirt, and I easily yanked it upwards with a single tug. Her arms raised up as I did this, and she was left with nothing but her tiny sleeping bottoms on from the night before. We kissed each other harder, and I squeezed her closer to me as hard as I could, wanting to make the space between her face and my face nonexistent. Her breath and mine both sped up, our tired, sleepy minds waking up to the electrifying kiss that we gave each other. I brought her down on the bed, my body trapping her beneath the sheets and myself. She threaded her fingers through my hair. I pecked her face with kisses and she mumbled something along the lines of “I love you”.