Chapter 16

The next morning, Harry knocked on Sophie's door, Noah and Alice were standing by his side.

"Soph, come out. Jake wants to talk to us. He said he needs to tell us something important."They paused, waiting for a response.

"Sophie?" Noah called, rapping his knuckles against the door lightly. "Wakey wakey, Sophie. This is serious."

They paused again, getting no answer.

Alice walked forward, knocking on the door. "Sophie? You okay? We're starting to get worried."They waited again. When there was no response, Alice grabbed the knob. "I hope it's not locked," she murmured.

The knob twisted under her hand and she pushed the door open.

The room was empty.

The three walked in.A breeze of cold air blew in through the open window, beside it they saw a note taped to the wall. Harry walked across the room, his stomach clenching uneasily. He snatched the paper of the wall and read aloud.

"To whom ever it may concern,I've left. I guess you can call it running away, but I'm not running from my responsibilities. I've come to realized that no matter how much I try, I cannot be the rebel you all expect me to be. I've gone somewhere close to my heart. I won't go back to the castle unless necessary. Some day we will meet again. When that happens, hopefully this crazy situation will be over.Until then,Sophie."

Harry slowly looked up at Alice and Noah.

"She left?" Noah sounded incredulous. He looked at the open window. "Well...Shit."

Alice sighed. "She said she was going somewhere close to her heart. Where could that be?"

Harry shrugged. "She's only ever lived in the castle."

"She said she's not going there," Noah said. "And frankly, I believe her. She's not stupid. She knows how dangerous it is."

"She said she won't go there unless it's necessary," Alice corrected him.

The three of them gazed at each other in worry.

"Well, she's a rebel," Noah sighed. "It doesn't matter if she doesn't think so. It's her nature, not her judgement."

"Yeah?" Harry said. "So?'

"So she's better than most of the rebels we have," Noah boasted. "If she doesn't want to be found, she won't be."

Harry looked down at the note and then crumpled it in his hand. "I'll find her." he said with determination.

"Harry, are you not listening to me?" Noah sighed.

"She's as skilled as any rebel out there." Harry looked at Noah. "I'm not just any rebel. I'll find her." He turned on his heel. "You and Alice have to take care of Jake. Find out what he wanted to tell us. I'll be gone in less than an hour."

Thirty minutes later, Harry was ready to go. He had his utility belt strapped around his waist with two guns, extra bullets, pens, papers, maps, keys, and a knife in the pockets. He was decked in all black with black sunglasses on over his eyes. He had hiking boots on his feet and a backpack with two extra pairs of clothes.

Standing in the doorway he turned faced his brother."Keep it under control, I don't know how long we'll be apart. If you get an opportunity to kill the king, take it. When I find Sophie-"

"If you find Sophie," Noah mumbled, cutting him off.

Harry took off his glasses and put them in his pants pocket. He looked at Noah evenly, his green eyes blazing. "When I find her, I'll be back as soon as I can. Keep a high security on the place. We need a lot of watches. I'll send the signal when Sophie and I are close."