0.01

"So what are you going to do?" Cecilia asked from across the table in the café we were currently at.

I whipped my head back to her and shrugged my shoulders "I don't know" I sighed, turning my focus back to the window. People were buzzing around walking up and down the streets of New York City.

My mind was blank. What the hell was I supposed to do?

"The good thing is that you guys caught it in time," She said, taking a bite out of her bagel, "Are you going to apply for another job?"

A sigh made its way out of my mouth "I don't wanna talk about this right now" I said avoiding eye contact. "Lets just get back to class we have less than 30 minutes," I said grabbing my water bottle from the table, cringing while I pushed the chair back, making it scrap on the floor.

"Oh shit" she murmured shoving the rest of the bagel into her mouth, scrambling up from the chair grabbing her stuff.

I chuckled bending down to grab my backpack. Sometimes I believe my backpack weighs more than me.

The cold air hit me in a rush once I opened the café's door, and I let out a breath of air. I wanted to scream and cry. I wanted to do something, anything to just get out my frustration. I know I'm not supposed to question why God does things, but yet I still do. Why us? Why her? Didn't we already have enough on our plate?

Cancer. My mother had cancer. The word alone was enough to tug at my heart and squeeze it. But I was supposed to be thankful right? We caught it soon enough right?

But still, I couldn't understand it. I couldn't wrap my head around it. And the question that caused me stress the most was where were we supposed to get the money?

"What are you thinking about? " Cecilia asked turning her head slightly to look at me, her green eyes giving me a curious look.

I pushed back the tears, turning around to look at her "Nothing" I said, giving her a small smile.

"Bullshit"

Cecilia and I have been close friends ever since I moved here 4 years ago. She was the first person I meet, and she quickly took me under her wing. You see, Ceci was part of the "popular group" and social butterfly who talked to everyone. I, on the other hand, was not social. The only reason people knew about me was because I was Ceci's best friend.

School pasted by in a fuzzy blur and somehow I managed to get to the front doors of the diner. Opening the doors the smell of burgers and fries automatically engulfed me.

"Hey Lacy" Matthew greeted from behind the counter. His dirty blonde curls adorned his forehead, and his deep black brown eyes made any girl swoon, including me.

Smiling back, I looked down, feeling my cheeks getting warm. "Hey" I said, walking towards the 'employ only' door.

Once I signed in, I walked to the bathroom, changing out of my clothes into my work clothes. Pulling my hair up in a bun I noticed the dark circles under my eyes. I really need to get my 8 hours of sleep. 4 hours and coffee was not cutting it.

A knock on the bathroom door made me jump in surprise.

"Lacely!Hurry up I need to use the restroom" Rose yelled from the other side of the door.

"Coming!" I yelled back through the apron over my head.

When I opened the bathroom door, Rose was there with an uncomfortable look on her face, bouncing in place with her legs crossed. "Sorry" I said, offering her a smile.

"Hurry" she whispered, rushing inside the moment I was out of the way.

Place my bag in the Locker room, I went out just in time for Frank to finish an order.