Chapter 9

Pastoria City

Ritchie walked outside to the battlefield, where Ranee was looking up at the stars with her Infernape.

Ritchie went over to her and asked, "Enjoying the stars?"

Ranee smiled as she answered, "Loving the stars. They are just so beautiful, they seem to dance in the sky."

Ritchie laid back, calling upon Zippo (Charizard) to join them. Zippo roared.

Ritchie stated, "Whoa, easy Zippo. We're just enjoying a quiet night in Pastoria City."

Ranee sat up and asked, "This your first time in Sinnoh?"

Ritchie nodded and answered, "Yeah, I've never been here before. I was in the Whirl Islands before I came here."

Ranee was astounded but held out her hand and introduced, "My name is Ranee."

Ritchie shook her hand and replied, "I'm Ritchie."

Ranee asked, "Where are you from?"

Ritchie answered, "A small town in the Kanto Region." He turned to her and questioned, "And yourself?"

Ranee smiled as she explained, "Veilstone City, right here in Sinnoh."

Ritchie looked over at Zippo and saw that the Fire/Flying type was next to Infernape, as if it was studying the Pokémon. Zippo seemed to have roared, curiously. Ritchie took out his Pokedex and pointed it at Infernape, wanting to know more about the Pokémon.

Dexter chirped, "Infernape, the Flame Pokémon. It uses unique fighting moves with fire on its hands and feet. It will take on any opponent."

Ritchie looked at Ranee and asked, "So it is a Fire/Fighting type?"

Ranee nodded and answered, "Right and my starter Pokémon. We've been together since Infernape was a Chimchar."

"Infernape!" Infernape said.

Ranee brought out her Pokedex and pointed it at Zippo.

Dexter chirped, "Charizard, the Flame Pokémon. It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Ranee looked at the Pokémon, interested. She wanted to battle it. Ritchie seemed to have been thinking the same thing.

He asked, "Mind if we have a Pokémon battle? I would like to see how Infernape battles."

Ranee sprang to her feet and answered, "Sure, I've been itching for a battle."

Ritchie smiled as he did the same thing. Zippo came over as did Infernape.

Ritchie stated, "You got first."

Ranee commanded, "Infernape, use Mach Punch!"

Infernape ran towards Charizard with amazing speed. Its fist was glowing a bluish white light. Ritchie wondered why Ranee did that.

He countered, "Zippo, Aerial Ace!"

Zippo gained speed and dodged Mach Punch. Before Aerial Ace could hit, Ranee smirked.

She commented, "I knew that you were going to do that." She commanded, "Infernape, Dig!"

Infernape quickly went underground, avoiding the flying type move. Ritchie was impressed.

He commanded, "Zippo, go after it and then use Iron Tail!"

Zippo went into the tunnel.

Ranee commanded, "Quick Infernape, use Fire Blast!"