The Proposal Part 7

It was almost 10 am amd Zubiya was just deciding a good time to call Asfand up and see if they could meet up. She had all night duty today in the hospital and so the evening was not free. The doorbell rang and she opened the door to the man she had been thinking about.

"Surprised? He cocked an eyebrow at her expression and affectionately ruffled her hair. By the time she got her breath back, her arms were full of the bunch of cream and pink Arum lilies that he thrust at her and she didn't realize she was blocking the door. " May I?" he asked, she quickly moved to give him space to come in.

She felt a little shy in the light of the morning and quickly said Hi and moved to the small kitchen to find a container for the flowers. Acutely conscious of him and trying not to steal glances at him, she was aware of him moving in the living room and coming to the kitchen island. She noted he was freshly showered, wearing a navy blue patterned shirt with fawn trousers. He looked good enough to eat and she was a little dizzy with his after-shave and his presence so close to her.

A: " So this is where you live." Idly watching her as she tried to find the best containers she could put the lilies in. He smiled knowingly as he watched her rummage noisily through all the containers and came to stand next to her so he could watch her confusion more closely. She was wearing a long crimson off the shoulder dress with a white knitted wrap

A:" Aren't you happy to see me?" he asked softly.

Z: "yes I am" she finally looked up at him, blushing at her own reaction. " Thanks for these flowers. They are beautiful."

A: " I had just a couple of hours before my meetings, so I thought I should not waste a moment. Come show me your home." Trying to put her at ease.

Zubi picked up the lilies and put them on the living room table.

Z:" Yes of course. There is hardly anything to see. And we hardly spend any time here."

She showed him the living room, the small terrace, the small guest room and and Laura's room at the end of the corridor. She opened the door to her room and felt as if there was something so intimate about this action. She tried to see how it would look to him. He flicked the medical books standing end to end on her work desk and moved towards the bed. Too late she realised that the picture she had of him on her night stand would be the next thing he saw. Too late as his sharply drawn breath told her, he had in fact seen it and had stopped there. She felt a little embarrassed for herself but also amused at his reaction.

Z: " See that is why you shouldn't go into other's bedroom. You never know what you might find over there. " she smiled at him.

He sat down on her bed and pulled her down next to him when she went closer.

A: " I feel slightly ashamed Zubi. All the while I was so against you and you......" he shook his head ruefully. " How on earth am I ever going to make it up to you."

Z: " Main aur mera ek-tarafa pyaar," she smiled, making light of the situation. "You were not supposed to find this."

A: " Ek-tarafa pyaar? Aur main yahan kyun hoon? Itni tarkeebein kar ke, itne saare bahaane bana kar, itni planning kar ke, main yahan kyun aaya hoon?" he smiled at her, sliding closer to her.

Z: " Mujhse badla lene!" she laughed victoriously," Ab aap apni feelings ko meri feelings se na hi compare karein. "

A: "Planning toh kuch aisi hi thi, lekin tumse milne ke baad mujhe ehsaas hua ki main abhi bhi wahin khara hua hoon jahan tum chhor ke gayi thi. Aur main zindagi bhar wahin khara rahoonga tumhare intezaar mein, jab tak tum wapis nahi aaogi. Kuch bhi nahi badla mere liye aur badal bhi nahi sakta." He said in a serious tone looking into her eyes. And then he smiled and said, " Isliye planning cancel."

Z: softly," Aur aapko is baar bharosa hai mujh par?"

A : laughed out aloud; " Bilkul nahi, koi bharosa nahin hai.... Abhi bhi darr raha hoon, bhaag jaogi, address baghair bataye. Pata nahin kahan kahan dhoodna parega.... Koi GPS chip mil jaaye toh implant karwa doon yahan." He indicated her wrist rubbing the skin. Then he turned serious and said to her, " Par risk toh lena parega na. Everything is a risk. Aur maine tumhare baghair rehna bhi try kar chuka hoon. Zindagi itni meaningless ho sakti hai, ye mujhe maalum nahi tha. Isliye risk toh lena parega. Agar tum nahi bhi wapis aao US se, phir bhi . ".

Z: " Aap kya kehna chahate hain? Ki main yahan rahoon aur aap wahan Pakistan mein?"

A: " Agar tumhe apne career ke liye aisa karna pare, toh kyun nahin? USA, Germany, Timbuctoo kahin bhi ... lekin meri hoke, hm?"

Z: " Aur hum milenge kaise? Bed side photograph se kaam chalayein?"

A: " Nahin, saal mein do baar tum aa jana, aur main do baar. Phir skype hai, phone hai, rozana baatein kar lenge?"

Z:" Ye aap mujhe propose kar rahein hain ya hum aise hi milte rahein?" she smiled.

Asfand laughed at her expression and pulled her closer and put his arms around her and looked at her seriously.

A: " Well I never thought we were talking of anything else except marriage. I have been asking you this question for years. And the last time the thought of marriage made you run away. So I feel scared to even ask you formally. ", He said with serious concern., " Just don't say no. and don't run away."

Z: " Yes"

A:" What do you mean?"

Z: " Yes. I will marry you." Zubi laughed at him and then looked down shyly.

A: " I should take you away somewhere and marry you today. Before you rethink ", he hugged her hard.

Z: " I wont rethink. I wont say No, I wont run away." Her voice was muffled

Asfand cupped his hands around her face and looked deep into her eyes and then reached down to kiss her. Zubi put her arms around him and kissed him back.

They were interrupted by the door bell and Zubi looked confused as Asfi broke away.

A: "Someone is at your door." He lightly ushered her towards the door.

Zubiya was a little unsteady on her feet but she opened the door and found Xander.

X: " Hey I am going to the hospital, we can grab some lunch on our way." He called out cheerfully.

Z: " Hi, no I wont be going now. I have night hours today."

Zubiya was still disoriented from being with Asfand and also aware that he was standing at the door to her bedroom, and also that Xander had also seen him.

After a few seconds, Xander said, "okay I can see you are busy. Call me later"

Zubiya shut the door behind him and found that Asfand had moved to the window and was looking out, disapproval writ large. When she went to him, he said, "this makes me mad. He is going to be around all the time while I will be away."

Zubi leaned against his shoulder and said. " You assume I am going to work here for ever. I have three months before I complete my exam. I will come back after that. I do not want to live here while you are thousands of miles away."

A: " I don't want you to take a hasty decision."

Z: " Soch liya."

A: " So after 3 months, you will be back? And for God's sake can we get married the next day after you land?"

Zubi laughed her acquiescence.

Asfand immediately called his parents up and informed everyone of their decision and even made Zubi speak to them. She was a little shy but it was evident that everyone in his family was already aware of most events and were firmly rooting for them to get together. 

to be continued..........

Kaisa laga? Please do give your feedback.