After the Proposal -Part 8

It was late in the night when she finally managed to grab a minute of peace in the hospital. She looked at the time and wondered if Asfi had finished his meeting. She was about to text him when she felt a hand on her shoulder and whirled around to find him right there bearing a Coffee tray.

Z: " Why are you here? Its 11 pm at night"

A: " Well there was no other way of spending time with you. I finished my meeting and decided to spend the night with you while you work."

Zubi scolded him, " Why do you want to spoil your night? We will be together tomorrow."

A: "Yes but you are going to be asleep during the day. Far better for me to hang around while you work. And stop worrying about me. I will be in your office waiting for you."

They walked out to her office and sat down on the sofa . Zubi was thankful for the coffee and hoped that her kids would sleep the rest of the night. She found Asfi had just realized that she shared her office with Xander and was looking extremely put off.

She put her hand on his arm and said," There is nothing between me and Xander. And you have to be peaceful about this. "

A: " It just makes me very annoyed. And I cant do anything about it."

Z: "Then you will have to trust me. You will need to accept my word for it, no?"

He continued to look annoyed and tried to shake off his mood. She laughed at his expression.

A :" I trust you. I don't trust him."

Z: "Okay how would you like me to prove this."

At that very moment her beeper went off and she apologetically went off to attend to her work.

.........................................................................

They kept meeting on and off through the night and she felt sorry that he was now looking tired but wouldn't go off to his hotel. Finally at 6 am she was able to get away. It was a rainy and cold morning and they set off in the cab. Asfand was so sleepy he just leaned on her and slept, as she smiled in delight and amusement. As a student she was used to these murderous night schedules but as a senior doctor in his hospital such occasions would be rare and not a habitual occurrence. She woke him up when she reached home and he looked so disoriented, she decided to let him come to her apartment for some breakfast and coffee.

She fixed some breakfast and tea and felt disconcerted at how domesticated and cozy the scene felt. Quickly she excused herself and went to take a bath while he was hungrily devouring breakfast and catching up on his emails.

When she came out of her bedroom, she found him fast asleep on the sofa, uncomfortably stretched out and with his legs hanging off the edge. She shook her head and admired how charming he looked; then wondered how to wake him up and push him off to his hotel. Too late, she decided. Sighing, she spoke softly calling his name to wake him up.

Z: " this is uncomfortable for you. Go and sleep in my room. I will sleep here."

A : sleepily looking at her "No I am fine here."

Z: " Go and sleep. Don't argue. I need to sleep as well and unlike you I can fit in this sofa comfortably"

She went to her room to take out extra comforter and pillows for herself and found he had followed her and was watching her.

A: " You know you don't have to go and sleep on the sofa" he said mischievously smiling but with some dead seriousness in his expression.

Z: " Yes I do. And If you are that awake you can go and take a cab to your hotel right now." She smiled at him.

A: collapsing on her bed, " Cruel girl! well if I cant have you, at least I can sleep in your bed and remember that for the next hundred days. And for the next hundred days maybe you will cry every night and think of how much kinder you could have been.

Z: " Yes I know I am going to kick myself every night but this is the right way to do it."

A: rising up : " Are you serious. Please I would hate you to be disappointed. Just say the word." He joked, hoping against hope. And ducked from the pillow she threw at him. "Anyway, you know where to find me in case you find it weird to be under the same roof and not in the same bed." She threw the comforter at him too and ran out, before he decided to actively follow up on his word.

A : " Zubi you might consider locking your door" he laughed .

Zubiya got extra comforter and pillows from her house mate's room with a smile on her lips at how crazy the entire conversation was. She lay down and for a few moments, she actually felt scared, not of him, but of herself. He was right, it felt strange to be under the same roof. It felt dangerous and it felt safe. She turned off the lamp and slept.

...........................................................................

Zubiya got up after a few hours and immediately went to her room and opened the door silently wanting to make sure he was still there. He was and in the noon's slight light under the heavy curtains looked peacefully asleep. She wanted to record the whole scene in her memory, because he would be gone tomorrow. The thought struck her like a ton of bricks, He stirred and she knew he was up.

Zubi asked him" Did I wake you up?"

A: " I cannot sleep if you come to check if I am still there."

Z: " Okay now I know you are there, go ahead and sleep."

A: " No I am up and I need you out of the room now."

Z: " Why should I leave? Its my room."

A: " I don't mind but then don't be so embarrassed and stop talking to me for the next 24 hours." He smiled mischievously.

Zubi then noticed all his clothes lying at the foot of bed and hastily closed the door and ran away.

----------------------------------------------------